Skipton and Ripon (UK Parliament constituency)
|Skipton and Ripon|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Skipton and Ripon in North Yorkshire.
Location of North Yorkshire within England.
|Electorate||77,098 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Masham, Ripon, Settle, Skipton|
|Member of parliament||Julian Smith (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Skipton, Ripon|
|European Parliament constituency||Yorkshire and the Humber|
It is one of the safest seats in England, formed on an area with a long history of Conservative representation and with a large plurality of its voting-age population having in the last election voted Conservative. It was also the constituency in 1992 that when declared, saw the Conservatives gain the 4th straight majority since 1979 and John Major re-elected as Prime Minister.
At 1.6% only of its area as unemployment claimants, Skipton and Ripon had significantly lower than national average unemployment (c.f. 3.8%) in November 2012.
This area of the Yorkshire Dales covers the whole of the Craven district including the towns of Skipton, Bentham and Settle. It also covers the northern and western parts of the Borough of Harrogate district including the city of Ripon and towns of Pateley Bridge and Masham.
History of boundaries
Before Parliament's statutory instrument made so as to follow the findings of the Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies in 2009, the constituency had only part of the four shared electoral wards: Newby, Saltergate, Spofforth with Lower Wharfedale and, Wathvale and the remainder as after those changes.
- Latest boundary review
The seat as currently drawn takes in electoral wards:
- Aire Valley with Lothersdale, Barden Fell, Bentham, Cowling, Embsay-with-Eastby, Gargrave with Malhamdale, Glusburn, Grassington, Hellifield and Long Preston, Ingleton and Clapham, Penyghent, Settle and Ribblebanks, Skipton: East, North, South and West (one each), Sutton-in-Craven, Upper Wharfedale and West Craven comprising the Craven District
- Bishop Monkton, Kirkby Malzeard, Lower Nidderdale, Mashamshire, Newby, Nidd Valley, Pateley Bridge, Ripon Minster, Ripon Moorside, Ripon Spa, Washburn, and Wathvale in the Borough of Harrogate
Members of Parliament
|1983||John Grenville Bernard Watson||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Skipton and Ripon|
|Liberal Democrat||Jacquie Bell|
|General Election 2010: Skipton and Ripon|
|Liberal Democrat||Helen Flynn||17,735||32.4||+5.8|
|The Youth Party||Dylan Gilligan||95||0.2||+0.2|
|Virtue Currency Cognitive Appraisal Party||Robert Leakey||84||0.2||−0.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Skipton and Ripon|
|Liberal Democrat||Paul English||13,480||26.7||+0.6|
|Virtue Currency Cognitive Appraisal Party||Robert Leakey||274||0.5||N/A|
|General Election 2001: Skipton and Ripon|
|Liberal Democrat||Bernard Arthur Bateman||12,806||26.1||+0.9|
|UKIP||Mrs. Nancy Holdsworth||2,041||4.2||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Skipton and Ripon|
|Liberal Democrat||Thomas A. Mould||13,674||25.2||−1.8|
|Labour||Robert J.S. Marchant||12,171||22.4||+3.4|
|Referendum Party||Mrs. Nancy Holdsworth||3,212||5.9||N/A|
|General Election 1992: Skipton and Ripon|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Hall||16,607||27.0||−1.4|
|Labour||Ms. Katharine R. Allott||8,978||14.6||+3.4|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Skipton and Ripon|
|Liberal||Stephen John Cooksey||15,954||28.4||−3.3|
|Labour||Timothy Langdale Whitfield||6,264||11.2||+3.4|
|Green||Ms. Linda Susan Williams||825||1.5||N/A|
|General Election 1983: Skipton and Ripon|
|Conservative||John Grenville Bernard Watson||31,509||60.6||N/A|
|Liberal||Kathleen Claire Brooks||16,463||31.6||N/A|
|Labour||Ms. M.A. Billing||4,044||7.8||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Jacquie Bell". YourNextMP. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- "UK > England > Yorkshire & the Humber > Skipton & Ripon". Election 2010. BBC. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.