Quest (TV channel)
|Launched||30 September 2009|
|Owned by||Discovery Networks Western Europe|
~0.0% (+1) (November 2012, BARB)
|Slogan||At the Heart of the Action|
|Replaced||DMAX +1.5 (Quest +1)|
|Sister channel(s)||Animal Planet
Discovery Home & Health
|Timeshift service||Quest +1|
Channel 167 (+1)
|Virgin Media||Channel 172
Channel 173 (+1)
|TalkTalk TV||Channel 109|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
In October 2008, Discovery announced that they would launch a channel on Freeview in early 2009, but without using the "Discovery" name. A placeholder appeared on Freeview channel 47 on 5 January 2009 and Tiscali TV channel 109 on 14 May 2009. Although the channel planned to launch on 14 May 2009 at 10am, after broadcasting a promo loop on the planned launch morning, at 10am the channel returned to displaying a "Coming soon" message.
The Quest website displayed a message reading: "Regrettably we have made the decision to postpone the launch of Quest. Due to a number of commercial factors we have had to make this difficult decision. We did not make this decision lightly and we are working towards launching Quest in the near future. We would like to apologise wholeheartedly to any of you that have been looking forward to this launch."
Quest launched on Virgin Media on 25 March 2010 on channel 179.
It is notable for cropping the top and bottom from 4:3 programming in order to make it 16:9. Furthermore, if the channel is viewed with a receiver set to 4:3, the sides are cropped from the image (including cutting the channel logo in half) meaning only the very centre of the original picture is viewable.
On 15 October 2010, Quest began broadcasting a 24-hour schedule on all platforms except Freeview. On 30 June 2011, Gems TV acquired a 24 hour Freeview stream, ending their timeshare with Quest, allowing Quest to begin broadcasting for 24 hours a day on Freeview as well.
- "Placeholder for Quest appears on Freeview". Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- "Discovery's Quest to launch in May". Broadcast. 2009-02-23.
- "Quest TV - Failed launch - The Story". Radio & Telly. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Quest sets Freeview launch date". Broadcastnow. 2009-08-05.
- "'Industrial Junkie' to premiere on Quest". Digital Spy. 2009-09-07.
- "Implementation - Quest +1". AGB Nielsen Media Research. 2009-10-02.
- "Quest goes 24 hours". The Airwaves. 2010-10-15. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24.
- "Freeview 24/7 for GemsTV". ShoppingTelly. 29 June 2011.
|This article on a United Kingdom television channel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|