Valley County, Montana
|Valley County, Montana|
Valley County Courthouse in Glasgow, MT
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||5,062 sq mi (13,111 km2)|
|• Land||4,921 sq mi (12,745 km2)|
|• Water||141 sq mi (365 km2), 2.79%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
Valley County is a county located in the U.S. state of Montana. As of the 2010 census, the population was 7,369. Its county seat is Glasgow. It is across from the Canadian border of Saskatchewan.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 5,062 square miles (13,110 km2), of which, 4,921 square miles (12,750 km2) of it is land and 141 square miles (370 km2) of it is water. The total area is 2.79% water.
- U.S. Highway 2
- Montana Highway 24
- Montana Highway 42
- Montana Highway 117
- Montana Secondary Highway 248
Adjacent counties and rural municipalities
- Phillips County, Montana - west
- Garfield County, Montana - south
- McCone County, Montana - south
- Roosevelt County, Montana - east
- Daniels County, Montana - east
- Mankota No. 45, Saskatchewan - north
- Waverley No. 44, Saskatchewan - north
- Old Post No. 43, Saskatchewan - north
||Mankota No. 45, Saskatchewan, Canada; Waverley No. 44, Saskatchewan, Canada; and Old Post No. 43, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|Phillips County||Roosevelt County and Daniels County|
|Garfield County and McCone County|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,675 people, 3,150 households, and 2,129 families residing in the county. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 4,847 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 88.14% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 9.42% Native American, 0.25% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.26% from other races, and 1.79% from two or more races. 0.78% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 28.2% were of German, 24.0% Norwegian, 6.4% American, 6.0% English and 5.5% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 3,150 households out of which 29.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.50% were married couples living together, 8.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.40% were non-families. 29.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.10% under the age of 18, 6.00% from 18 to 24, 24.30% from 25 to 44, 25.60% from 45 to 64, and 19.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 98.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,979, and the median income for a family was $39,044. Males had a median income of $27,233 versus $17,686 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,246. About 9.50% of families and 13.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.40% of those under age 18 and 14.40% of those age 65 or over.
In 2004 Valley County voted 62% for Bush/Cheney (GOP) and 36% for Kerry/Edwards (DEM) for president. In 2008 Valley County voted 56% for McCain/Palin (GOP) and 43% for Obama/Biden (DEM) for president.
Northeast Montana Fair
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2014)|
- Miles Crossing
- Murray Place
- Park Grove
- Fort Peck Dam
- List of cemeteries in Valley County, Montana
- List of lakes in Valley County, Montana (A-L)
- List of lakes in Valley County, Montana (M-Z)
- List of mountains in Valley County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 7.^http://montana.hometownlocator.com/mt/valley/index.cfm, MT Home Town Locator, Retrieved 1/27/2014