Mineral County, Montana
|Mineral County, Montana|
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,223 sq mi (3,168 km2)|
|• Land||1,220 sq mi (3,160 km2)|
|• Water||4 sq mi (10 km2), 0.29%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,223 square miles (3,169 km²), of which, 1,220 square miles (3,159 km²) of it is land and 4 square miles (9 km²) of it (0.29%) is water.
- Sanders County, Montana - north
- Missoula County, Montana - east
- Clearwater County, Idaho - south
- Shoshone County, Idaho - northwest
||Shoshone County, Idaho||Sanders County|
|Clearwater County, Idaho|
National protected area
- Lolo National Forest (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,884 people, 1,584 households, and 1,067 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,961 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.57% White, 0.21% Black or African American, 1.93% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.26% from other races, and 2.50% from two or more races. 1.57% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 22.5% were of German, 14.6% Irish, 9.9% English, 8.1% American and 8.0% Norwegian ancestry according to Census 2000. Irish is the 5th most common language spoken at home.
There were 1,584 households out of which 27.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.70% were married couples living together, 6.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.60% were non-families. 26.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.30% under the age of 18, 6.40% from 18 to 24, 25.30% from 25 to 44, 29.80% from 45 to 64, and 14.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 106.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,143, and the median income for a family was $32,096. Males had a median income of $26,782 versus $18,258 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,166. About 12.80% of families and 15.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.70% of those under age 18 and 8.50% of those age 65 or over.
- List of cemeteries in Mineral County, Montana
- List of lakes in Mineral County, Montana
- List of mountains in Mineral County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Mineral County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.