Madison County, Montana
|Madison County, Montana|
Madison County Courthouse in Virginia City
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|Named for||James Madison|
|• Total||3,603 sq mi (9,332 km2)|
|• Land||3,587 sq mi (9,290 km2)|
|• Water||16 sq mi (41 km2), 0.45%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 3,603 square miles (9,330 km2), of which, 3,587 square miles (9,290 km2) of it is land and 16 square miles (41 km2) of it (0.45%) is water.
- Interstate 15
- Former U.S. Highway 91
- U.S. Highway 287
- Montana Highway 41
- Montana Highway 84
- Montana Highway 87
- Montana Highway 55
- Montana Highway 287
- Beaverhead County, Montana - southwest, west
- Silver Bow County, Montana - northwest
- Jefferson County, Montana - north
- Gallatin County, Montana - east
- Fremont County, Idaho - south
||Silver Bow County||Jefferson County|
|Beaverhead County||Gallatin County|
|Beaverhead County||Fremont County, Idaho|
National protected areas
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,851 people, 2,956 households, and 1,921 families residing in the county. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 4,671 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.02% White, 0.04% Black or African American, 0.53% Native American, 0.26% Asian, 0.76% from other races, and 1.39% from two or more races. 1.90% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 21.6% were of German, 16.4% English, 11.0% Irish, 7.8% American and 7.3% Norwegian ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 2,956 households out of which 26.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.80% were married couples living together, 4.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.00% were non-families. 29.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.29 and the average family size was 2.85.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.90% under the age of 18, 4.90% from 18 to 24, 25.00% from 25 to 44, 30.10% from 45 to 64, and 17.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 102.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,233, and the median income for a family was $35,536. Males had a median income of $26,606 versus $17,917 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,944. About 10.20% of families and 12.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.20% of those under age 18 and 9.30% of those age 65 or over.
- Sam V. Stewart, former Montana Governor and Supreme Court justice, lived here.
- List of cemeteries in Madison County, Montana
- List of lakes in Madison County, Montana
- List of mountains in Madison County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Madison County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.