Pondera County, Montana
|Pondera County, Montana|
Conrad, Pondera County, Montana
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,640 sq mi (4,248 km2)|
|• Land||1,625 sq mi (4,209 km2)|
|• Water||15 sq mi (39 km2), 0.92%|
|• Density||5/sq mi (2/km²)|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,640 square miles (4,200 km2), of which, 1,625 square miles (4,210 km2) of it is land and 15 square miles (39 km2) of it (0.92%) is water.
- Glacier County, Montana - north
- Toole County, Montana - north
- Liberty County, Montana - east
- Chouteau County, Montana - east
- Teton County, Montana - south
- Flathead County, Montana - west
||Glacier County and Toole County|
|Flathead County||Liberty County and Chouteau County|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,424 people, 2,410 households, and 1,740 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 2,834 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 83.66% White, 0.09% Black or African American, 14.46% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 1.48% from two or more races. 0.84% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 24.1% were of German, 13.8% Norwegian, 8.3% Irish, 5.7% American and 5.1% English ancestry according to Census 2000. 92.0% spoke English, 5.1% German and 1.8% Blackfoot as their first language.
There were 2,410 households out of which 35.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.00% were married couples living together, 8.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.80% were non-families. 25.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the county the population was spread out with 29.60% under the age of 18, 6.40% from 18 to 24, 24.80% from 25 to 44, 22.90% from 45 to 64, and 16.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 97.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,464, and the median income for a family was $36,484. Males had a median income of $27,125 versus $19,314 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,276. About 15.00% of families and 18.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.40% of those under age 18 and 8.30% of those age 65 or over.
- Ivan Doig, author; resided in Dupuyer, Pondera County.
- George Montgomery - film/television actor; born and raised in Brady, Pondera County.
- List of cemeteries in Pondera County, Montana
- List of lakes in Pondera County, Montana
- List of mountains in Pondera County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Pondera County, Montana
- Pondera County official website
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.