Powder River County, Montana
|Powder River County, Montana|
Powder River Courthouse in Broadus
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Powder River|
|• Total||3,298 sq mi (8,542 km2)|
|• Land||3,297 sq mi (8,539 km2)|
|• Water||1 sq mi (3 km2), 0.02%|
|• Density||0.5/sq mi (0/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
- Big Horn County, Montana - west
- Rosebud County, Montana - west
- Custer County, Montana - north
- Carter County, Montana - east
- Crook County, Wyoming - southeast
- Campbell County, Wyoming - south
- Sheridan County, Wyoming - southwest
|Big Horn County and Rosebud County||Carter County|
|Sheridan County, Wyoming||Campbell County, Wyoming||Crook County, Wyoming|
National protected area
- Custer National Forest (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,858 people, 737 households, and 524 families residing in the county. The population density was <1/km² (<1/sq mi). There were 1,007 housing units at an average density of <1/km² (<1/sq mi). The racial makeup of the county was 97.42% White, 1.78% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.22% from other races, and 0.48% from two or more races. 0.59% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 33.2% were of German, 13.8% English, 10.7% Irish and 5.9% Norwegian ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 737 households out of which 30.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.90% were married couples living together, 4.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.80% were non-families. 24.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.60% under the age of 18, 4.80% from 18 to 24, 23.30% from 25 to 44, 26.80% from 45 to 64, and 18.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 97.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,398, and the median income for a family was $34,671. Males had a median income of $23,971 versus $17,411 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,351. About 9.90% of families and 12.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.70% of those under age 18 and 16.30% of those age 65 or over.
- List of cemeteries in Powder River County, Montana
- List of lakes in Powder River County, Montana
- List of mountains in Powder River County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Powder River County, Montana
- Powder River County official website
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.