Nộm (gỏi in Southern Vietnam) is the indigenous salad of Vietnamese cuisine. It is to be distinguished from sa lát (from the French for salad), and sa lát Nga ("Russian salad") found in Western style restaurants.
This dish is a combination of a variety of fresh vegetables, grated turnip, kohlrabi, cabbage, or papaya, and slices of cucumber often with meat - either grated, boiled, lean pork, beef, shrimp or small fry. Other ingredients and condiments include gia vị spice, rau thơm herbs, and đậu phộng peanut. The salad is mixed, soaked in vinegar, sugar, tỏi garlic, ớt pepper, and seasoned with salt.
One of the best known is Gỏi gà, chicken salad, Other varieties include Bánh đúc nộm salad made with bánh đúc, Nộm thịt bò khô dried beef salad with kinh giới, the popular Gỏi đu đủ papaya salad and Gỏi tôm prawn salad and local specialities such as rice-paddy eel salad, Gỏi nhệch.
- Andrea Nguyen Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors Nộm
- Ann Le The Little Saigon Cookbook 2006 Page 32 "Gỏi gà, regarded as the coleslaw of South Vietnam, is a refreshingly sweet and tangy salad. ... There are a number of ways this salad can be expanded, such as by adding boiled shrimp and pork, more cucumber slices, shallots, or other ...."
- Anne Lukin Big Carrot Vegetarian Cookbook - Page 59 1989 "GOI GA VIETNAMESE SALAD This fresh and crunchy salad with spicy-hot dressing is at its best when served fresh."
- Martin Cizmar Chubster: A Hipster's Guide to Losing Weight While Staying Cool - Page 119 2012 "Goi ga, a Vietnamese salad made with shredded cabbage, grilled chicken, and some herbs, is incredibly light except for the crushed peanuts and dressing—plan on about 450 calories if you go easy on the dressing."
- Elizabeth Riely The Chef's Companion: A Culinary Dictionary - Page 127 - 2012 "goi cuon [goy koon] A Vietnamese salad of varied herbs rolled in rice wrappers and served with bean sauce. goi-ga [goy-gah] A Vietnamese salad of poached chicken with shredded cabbage, carrot, ..."
- Sallie Morris, Deh-Ta Hsiung -Best-ever Asian cooking: the authentic taste of eastern cuisine Page 222 1999 "Goi Tom, a typical Vietnamese salad, is tull of surprising textures and flavors. Seri'e as a light lunch dish or for supper with crusty French bread."