1050s in England
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1059 in England)
|1050s in England:|
|1030s | 1040s | 1050s | 1060s | 1070s|
Events from the 1050s in England.
Monarch - Edward the Confessor
- Unknown part of the year - Heregeld is abolished by King Edward the Confessor of England.
- 29 June - The Norman bishop Robert of Jumièges is enthroned as Archbishop of Canterbury, having been appointed to the vacant seat by the king. He refuses to consecrate Spearhafoc as his successor as the Bishop of London, and William the Norman is appointed instead. Spearhafoc vanishes with the gold and jewels he had been given to make the royal crown and is never seen again.
- September - Following a rebellion, King Edward the Confessor exiles Godwin, Earl of Wessex, to Flanders.
- Prince Gruffydd ap Llywelyn of Wales raids Herefordshire.
- 14 September - Godwin, Earl of Wessex returns to England from exile. He sails a large fleet into London forcing King Edward to reinstate him.
- Three bishops appointed by King Edward — Robert of Jumièges; Ulfus Normanus, Bishop of Dorchester, and William the Norman, Bishop of London — flee the country.
- Stigand enthroned as Archbishop of Canterbury.
- William, Duke of Normandy visits King Edward and may have been promised the throne after Edward's death.
- 29 October - Edsige, Archbishop of Canterbury
- 22 January - Aelfric Puttoc, archbishop of York
- Alfwold, Bishop of Sherborne
- Palmer, Alan; Palmer, Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 51–52. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.
- Cowdrey, H. E. J. (2004). "Robert of Jumièges (d. 1052/1055)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/23717. Retrieved 2012-04-02. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Dodwell, C. R. (1982). Anglo-Saxon Art: A New Perspective. Manchester University Press. pp. 46–7. ISBN 978-0-7190-0926-6.
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 109–111. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.