From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1468.
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1430s 1440s 1450s – 1460s – 1470s 1480s 1490s|
|Years:||1465 1466 1467 – 1468 – 1469 1470 1471|
|1468 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1468 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2221|
|English Regnal year||7 Edw. 4 – 8 Edw. 4|
|Chinese calendar||丁亥年 (Fire Pig)
4164 or 4104
— to —
戊子年 (Earth Rat)
4165 or 4105
|- Vikram Samvat||1524–1525|
|- Shaka Samvat||1389–1390|
|- Kali Yuga||4568–4569|
|Japanese calendar||Ōnin 2
|Minguo calendar||444 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||2010–2011|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1468.|
- August 26: Baeda Maryam succeeds his father Zara Yaqob as Emperor of Ethiopia.
- October 14: The Treaty of Péronne is signed by Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, and Louis XI of France.
- The Lancastrians surrender Harlech Castle to King Edward IV of England after a seven-year siege.
- The Great Council of the Republic of Venice attempts to curb the power of the Council of Ten through legislation restricting them to acting on emergency matters.
- Orkney is pledged by Christian I, in his capacity as King of Norway, as security against the payment of the dowry of his daughter Margaret, betrothed to James III of Scotland. As the money is never paid, the connection with the crown of Scotland becomes perpetual.
- Metz Cathedral is completed.
- At about this date, Sonni Ali, king of the Songhai Empire, takes power over Timbuktu.
- February 29 – Pope Paul III (d. 1549)
- March 28 – Charles I, Duke of Savoy (d. 1490)
- May 31 – Philip, Prince of Anhalt-Köthen, German prince (d. 1500)
- June 30 – John, Elector of Saxony (1525–1532) (d. 1532)
- July 24 – Catherine of Saxony, Archduchess of Austria (d. 1524)
- August 3 – Albert I, Duke of Münsterberg-Oels, Count of Kladsko (d. 1511)
- August 26 – Bernardo de' Rossi, Italian bishop (d. 1527)
- December 21 – William Conyers, 1st Baron Conyers, English baron (d. 1524)
- date unknown
- January 17 – Skanderbeg, Albanian national hero (b. 1403)
- February 3 – Johannes Gutenberg, inventor of printing press with replaceable letters (b. 1398)
- June 14 – Margaret Beauchamp, countess of Shrewsbury
- June 30 – Lady Eleanor Talbot, English noblewoman
- September 26 – Juan de Torquemada, Spanish Catholic cardinal (b. 1388)
- October 7 – Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, lord of Rimini (b. 1417)
- November 24 – Jean de Dunois, French soldier (b. 1402)
- date unknown