Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|1468 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1468 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2221|
|Balinese saka calendar||1389–1390|
|English Regnal year||7 Edw. 4 – 8 Edw. 4|
|Chinese calendar||丁亥年 (Fire Pig)|
4164 or 4104
— to —
戊子年 (Earth Rat)
4165 or 4105
|- Vikram Samvat||1524–1525|
|- Shaka Samvat||1389–1390|
|- Kali Yuga||4568–4569|
|Japanese calendar||Ōnin 2|
|Minguo calendar||444 before ROC|
|Thai solar calendar||2010–2011|
1594 or 1213 or 441
— to —
1595 or 1214 or 442
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1468.|
- June 30: Catherine Cornaro is wed by proxy to James II of Cyprus, starting the beginning of the Venetian conquest of Cyprus.
- August 26: Baeda Maryam succeeds his father Zara Yaqob, as Emperor of Ethiopia.
- October 14: The Treaty of Péronne is signed by Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, and Louis XI of France.
- The Lancastrians surrender Harlech Castle to King Edward IV of England, after a seven-year siege.
- The Great Council of the Republic of Venice attempts to curb the power of the Council of Ten, through legislation restricting them to acting on emergency matters.
- Orkney is pledged by Christian I, in his capacity as King of Norway, as security against the payment of the dowry of his daughter Margaret, betrothed to James III of Scotland. As the money is never paid, the connection with the crown of Scotland becomes perpetual.
- Metz Cathedral in France is completed.
- At about this date, Sonni Ali, king of the Songhai Empire, takes power over Timbuktu.
- February 29 – Pope Paul III (d. 1549)
- March 28 – Charles I, Duke of Savoy (d. 1490)
- April 27 – Frederick Jagiellon, Primate of Poland (d. 1503)
- May 31 – Philip, Prince of Anhalt-Köthen, German prince (d. 1500)
- June 30 – John, Elector of Saxony (1525–1532) (d. 1532)
- July 24 – Catherine of Saxony, Archduchess of Austria (d. 1524)
- August 3 – Albert I, Duke of Münsterberg-Oels, Count of Kladsko (d. 1511)
- August 26 – Bernardo de' Rossi, Italian bishop (d. 1527)
- December 21 – William Conyers, 1st Baron Conyers, English baron (d. 1524)
- date unknown
- January 17 – Skanderbeg, Albanian national hero (b. 1403)
- February 3 – Johannes Gutenberg, inventor of printing press with replaceable letters (b. 1398)
- March 12 – Astorre II Manfredi, Italian noble (b. 1412)
- June 14 – Margaret Beauchamp, countess of Shrewsbury
- June 30 – Lady Eleanor Talbot, English noblewoman
- July 5 – Alfonso, Prince of Asturias (b. 1453)
- September 26 – Juan de Torquemada, Spanish Catholic cardinal (b. 1388)
- October 7 – Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, lord of Rimini (b. 1417)
- October 28 – Bianca Maria Visconti, Duchess of Milan (b. 1425)
- November 24 – Jean de Dunois, French soldier (b. 1402)
- December 6 – Zanobi Strozzi, Italian painter (b. 1412)
- date unknown