From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- February – LucasArts releases the first-person space combat simulator X-Wing for the PC.
- February 21 – Nintendo releases Star Fox for the Super Famicom/SNES, the first game to use the Super FX chip. It introduces the characters Fox McCloud, Falco Lombardi, Peppy Hare and Slippy Toad.
- March 26 – Nintendo releases Kirby's Adventure, the second Kirby game and the only one for the NES. It introduced Kirby's copy ability and the character Meta Knight.
- April – Virgin Games publishes The 7th Guest, which becomes a killer app for CD-ROM drives.
- June – Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle is released by Lucasarts as a sequel to Maniac Mansion.
- June 6 – Nintendo releases The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy), which becomes the best-selling handheld game in the series.
- July 14 – Nintendo releases Super Mario All-Stars for the Super NES. It features updated remakes of the first 3 Super Mario Bros. games including the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2, playable outside Japan for the first time.
- August 6 – Square releases Secret of Mana for the SNES, the second in a series of action role-playing games (the first technically being Final Fantasy Adventure for the Game Boy in 1991).
- August 20 – Activision releases Return to Zork.
- September 6 – MicroProse releases Master of Orion.
- September 23 – Sega releases Sonic CD, which marks the first appearance of Amy Rose and Metal Sonic.
- September 24 – Broderbund releases the Myst computer game, which goes on to become one of the bestselling computer games of all time.
- November – Lucasarts releases Sam and Max Hit The Road.
- November 5 – Mega Man 6 released in Japan for NES.
- November 11 – Virgin Games releases Disney's Aladdin for the Genesis, voted Genesis game of 1993 by Electronic Gaming Monthly.
- December 10 – id Software releases Doom, a seminal first-person shooter that advances pseudo-3D graphics technology for computer games.
- December 17 – Sierra releases Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.
- December 17 – Mega Man X is released in Japan for SNES.
- Electronic Arts publishes Eagle Eye Mysteries, featuring the first use of motion control photography in video games.
- Bullfrog releases Syndicate.