From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- February – LucasArts releases X-Wing for the PC.
- February 21 - Nintendo releases Star Fox for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, the first game to use the Super FX chip. It introduces the characters Fox McCloud, Falco Lombardi, Peppy Hare and Slippy Toad.
- March 26 – Nintendo releases Kirby's Adventure, the second Kirby game and the only one for the NES. It introduced Meta Knight to the Kirby series.
- April – Virgin Games publishes The 7th Guest, which becomes a killer app for CD-ROM drives.
- June – Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle is released by Lucasarts as a sequel to Maniac Mansion.
- June 6 – Nintendo releases The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy), which becomes the best-selling handheld game in the series.
- July 14 – Nintendo releases the game Super Mario All-Stars for the Super NES. It features the first 3 Super Mario Bros. games together on one. It's the first time the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is playable outside Japan.
- August 6 – Square releases Secret of Mana for the SNES, the second in a series of action role-playing games (the first technically being Final Fantasy Adventure for the Game Boy in 1991).
- August 20 – Activision releases Return to Zork.
- September 6 – MicroProse releases Master of Orion.
- September 23 – Sega releases Sonic CD, which features the first appearance of Amy Rose and Metal Sonic.
- September 24– Broderbund releases the Myst computer game, which goes on to become one of the bestselling computer games of all time.
- November - Lucasarts releases Sam and Max Hit The Road.
- November 11 - Virgin Games releases Disney's Aladdin for the Genesis, voted Genesis game of 1993 by Electronic Gaming Monthly.
- December 10 – id Software releases Doom, a seminal first-person shooter that advances pseudo-3D graphics technology for computer games.
- December 17 – Sierra releases Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.
- Maxis releases SimCity 2000, sequel to the popular SimCity.
- Electronic Arts publishes Eagle Eye Mysteries, featuring the first use of motion control photography in video games.
- Bullfrog releases Syndicate.