2011–12 Primeira Liga
|Relegated||União de Leiria|
|Goals scored||634 (2.64 per match)|
|Top goalscorer||Óscar Cardozo|
(20 goals each)
|Best goalkeeper||Rui Patrício|
|Biggest home win||Porto 5−0 Nacional|
Sporting 6−1 Gil Vicente
Sporting 5−0 Vitória de Guimarães
|Biggest away win||Paços de Ferreira 1−5 Vitória de Guimarães|
União de Leiria 0−4 Benfica
União de Leiria 0−4 Feirense
|Highest scoring||Olhanense 4−4 Nacional|
|Longest winning run||Braga 13 games|
(9 December 2011–26 March 2012)
|Longest unbeaten run||Benfica 18 games|
(12 August 2011–11 February 2012)
|Longest winless run||Académica 16 games|
(18 December 2011–30 April 2012)
|Longest losing run||Académica 6 games|
(18 March 2012–30 April 2012)
The 2011–12 Primeira Liga (also known as Liga ZON Sagres for sponsorship reasons) was the 78th season of the Primeira Liga, the top professional league for Portuguese association football clubs. It began on 14 August 2011 and ended on 13 May 2012. A total of 16 teams contested the league, 14 of which already took part in the previous season and two of which were promoted from the Liga de Honra. Porto were the defending champions and secured their 26th and second consecutive league title. Óscar Cardozo and Lima, respectively Benfica's and Braga's strikers, were the joint top scorers with 20 goals.
- 1 Teams
- 2 League table
- 3 Results
- 4 Season statistics
- 5 Awards
- 5.1 Monthly awards
- 5.2 Annual awards
- 6 Transfers
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
A total of 16 teams will contest the league, 14 of which already contested in the 2010–11 season and two of which were promoted from the 2010–11 Liga de Honra. The two teams relegated following the 2010–11 season were Portimonense, who return to the Liga de Honra just a year after promotion, and Naval, returning to the second tier after a six-year stay. Replacing them in the top flight are Liga de Honra champions Gil Vicente, competing in their fourteenth Liga season after returning from a five-year absence, and Feirense, who are in the premier division for the fourth time, and the first since the 1989–90 season.
Stadia and locations
Personnel and kits
Note: Flags indicate national team as has been defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players and Managers may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
|Team||Head coach||Captain||Kit manufacturer||Shirt sponsor|
|Académica de Coimbra||Pedro Emanuel||Orlando||Lacatoni||EFAPEL|
|Benfica||Jorge Jesus||Luisão||adidas||tmn (H) / meo (A)|
|Feirense||Quim Machado||Luciano||adidas||E.Leclerc / BetClic|
|Gil Vicente||Paulo Alves||Paulo Arantes||Madsport||GIVEC / Águas de Barcelos / Glassdrive|
|Marítimo||Pedro Martins||João Guilherme||Lacatoni||Banif|
|Nacional||Pedro Caixinha||Felipe Lopes||Joma||Banif|
|Olhanense||Sérgio Conceição||Rui Duarte||Lacatoni||Ria Shopping|
|Paços de Ferreira||Henrique Calisto||Filipe Anunciação||Lacatoni||Capital do Móvel|
|Porto||Vítor Pereira||Helton||Nike||meo (H) / tmn (A)|
|Rio Ave||Carlos Brito||Gaspar||Lacatoni||Nassica|
|Sporting CP||Ricardo Sá Pinto||Daniel Carriço||Puma||tmn (H) / meo (A)|
|Sporting de Braga||Leonardo Jardim||Alan||Macron||AXA|
|União de Leiria||José Dominguez||Marco Soares||Joma||Kia|
|Vitória de Guimarães||Rui Vitória||João Alves||Lacatoni||Finibanco|
|Vitória de Setúbal||Bruno Ribeiro||Ricardo Silva||Lacatoni||Kia|
|Team||Outgoing manager||Manner of departure||Date of vacancy||Replaced by||Date of appointment||Position in table|
|Porto||André Villas-Boas||Resigned/Signed by Chelsea||21 June 2011||Vítor Pereira||22 June 2011||Pre-season|
|Vitória de Guimarães||Manuel Machado||Resigned||26 August 2011||Rui Vitória||30 August 2011||16th|
|Paços de Ferreira||Rui Vitória||Signed by Vitória de Guimarães||30 August 2011||Luís Miguel||30 August 2011||9th|
|União de Leiria||Pedro Caixinha||Sacked||6 September 2011||Vítor Pontes||8 September 2011||16th|
|União de Leiria||Vítor Pontes||Resigned||26 September 2011||Manuel Cajuda||26 September 2011||16th|
|Nacional||Ivo Vieira||Resigned||31 October 2011||Pedro Caixinha||31 October 2011||12th|
|Paços de Ferreira||Luís Miguel||Sacked||27 November 2011||Henrique Calisto||30 November 2011||16th|
|Olhanense||Daúto Faquirá||Resigned||30 December 2011||Sérgio Conceição||1 January 2012||10th|
|Sporting CP||Domingos Paciência||Sacked||13 February 2012||Ricardo Sá Pinto||13 February 2012||4th|
|Beira-Mar||Rui Bento||Resigned||26 February 2012||Ulisses Morais||27 February 2012||13th|
|Feirense||Quim Machado||Sacked||2 April 2012||Henrique Nunes||2 April 2012||16th|
|Pos||Team||Pld||W||D||L||GF||GA||GD||Pts||Qualification or relegation|
|1||Porto (C)||30||23||6||1||69||19||+50||75||2012–13 UEFA Champions League Group stage|
|3||Braga||30||19||5||6||59||29||+30||62||2012–13 UEFA Champions League Play-off round|
|4||Sporting CP||30||18||5||7||47||26||+21||59||2012–13 UEFA Europa League Play-off round|
|5||Marítimo||30||14||8||8||41||38||+3||50||2012–13 UEFA Europa League Third qualifying round|
|6||Vitória de Guimarães||30||14||3||13||40||40||0||45|
|10||Paços de Ferreira||30||8||7||15||35||53||−18||31|
|11||Vitória de Setúbal||30||8||6||16||24||49||−25||30|
|13||Académica||30||7||8||15||27||38||−11||29[a]||2012–13 UEFA Europa League Group stage[b]|
|15||Feirense (R)||30||5||9||16||27||49||−22||24||Relegation to 2012–13 Liga de Honra|
|16||União de Leiria (R)||30||5||4||21||25||56||−31||19|
Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Head-to-head points; 3) Head-to-head goal difference; 4) Head-to-head away goals scored; 5) Goal difference; 6) Matches won; 7) Goals scored; 8) Play-off.
(Note: LPFP decided that only criteria 1, 5, 6 and 7 would be applied to establish the classification during the competition.)
(C) Champion; (R) Relegated.
Positions by round
|2012–13 UEFA Champions League Group stage|
|2012–13 UEFA Champions League Third qualifying round|
|2012–13 UEFA Europa League Play-off round|
|2012–13 UEFA Europa League Third qualifying round|
|Relegation to 2012–13 Liga de Honra|
|Home \ Away||ACA||BEM||BEN||BRA||FEI||GVI||MAR||NAC||OLH||PAÇ||POR||RAV||SCP||ULE||VGU||VSE|
|Paços de Ferreira||2–0||0–3||1–2||1–1||3–1||1–2||1–1||0–2||1–1||1–1||2–2||2–3||2–1||1–5||2–1|
|União de Leiria||1–2||0–0||0–4||1–0||0–4||0–0||1–3||2–3||1–3||2–4||2–5||1–0||0–1||1–0||2–0|
|Vitória de Guimarães||1–2||0–3||1–0||1–1||1–0||1–1||1–0||1–0||2–2||3–1||0–1||2–1||0–1||3–2||3–0|
|Vitória de Setúbal||1–1||1–0||1–3||0–1||1–1||0–0||1–1||0–3||2–3||2–1||1–3||2–1||1–0||1–0||1–0|
|4||Ricky van Wolfswinkel||Sporting CP||14|
|6||João Tomás||Rio Ave||11|
|Edgar Silva||Vitória de Guimarães||11|
|Lorenzo Melgarejo||Paços de Ferreira||10|
- Last updated: 13 May 2012, 00:25 UTC
- Last updated: 7 May 2012, 12:48 UTC
|Edgar Silva||Vitória de Guimarães||Paços de Ferreira||5–1||4 November 2011|
|Lima||Braga||Gil Vicente||3–0||18 February 2012|
|Kléber||Porto||Rio Ave||5-2||12 May 2012|
|Ricky van Wolfswinkel||Sporting CP||Braga||3-2||12 May 2012|
Portuguese Golden Ball
LPFP Primeira Liga Player of the Year
LPFP Primeira Liga Breakthrough Player of the Year
LPFP Primeira Liga Goalkeeper of the Year
LPFP Primeira Liga Manager of the Year
LPFP Primeira Liga Fairplay Award
- "Estatísticas comparadas" [Compared Statistics]. LPFP. lpfp.pt. 4 June 2012. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Calendário" [Calendar]. LPFP (in Portuguese). 29 June 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Villas-Boas resigns from Porto". ESPN Soccernet. 21 June 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "Chelsea appoint former Porto coach André Villas-Boas on three-year deal". The Guardian. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- "Manuel Machado deixa Guimarães" [Manuel Machado leaves Guimarães]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 26 August 2011. Archived from the original on 21 September 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "V. Guimarães: Rui Vitória assina até final da época" [V. Guimarães: Rui Vitória signs until the end of the season]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). 30 August 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Luís Miguel já foi apresentado" [Luís Miguel has been presented]. FCPF (in Portuguese). 30 August 2011. Archived from the original on 22 January 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Pedro Caixinha despedido" [Pedro Caixinha is fired]. Record (in Portuguese). 7 September 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Vítor Pontes é o novo treinador" [Vítor Pontes is the new manager]. Regiao de Leiria (in Portuguese). 8 September 2011. Archived from the original on 5 October 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "União de Leiria prescinde de Vítor Pontes e chama Manuel Cajuda" [União de Leiria sacks Vítor Pontes and calls Manuel Cajuda]. Regiao de Leiria (in Portuguese). 26 September 2011. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "Ivo Vieira sai na segunda-feira; Caixinha será o novo treinador" [Ivo Vieira out on Monday, Caixinha will be the new manager]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 28 October 2011. Archived from the original on 31 October 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Caixinha apresentado amanhã" [Caixinha presented tomorrow]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 31 October 2011. Archived from the original on 1 November 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Luís Miguel demitido" [Luís Miguel is fired]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 27 November 2011. Archived from the original on 29 November 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Henrique Calisto confirmado na Mata Real" [Henrique Calisto confirmed at Mata Real]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 30 November 2011. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "Saída de Daúto já é oficial" [Daúto's leaving is now official]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 30 December 2011. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- "Sérgio Conceição é o novo treinador" [Sérgio Conceição is the new manager]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 1 January 2012. Archived from the original on 8 January 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Domingos sai, Sá Pinto promovido" [Domingos leaves, Sá Pinto promoted]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 13 February 2012. Archived from the original on 16 February 2012. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "Rui Bento anuncia demissão" [Rui Bento announces his resignation]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 26 February 2012. Archived from the original on 28 February 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- "Ulisses Morais oficializado" [Ulisses Morais is official]. A Bola (in Portuguese). 27 February 2012. Archived from the original on 28 February 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Henrique Nunes substitui Quim Machado no Feirense" [Henrique Nunes substitutes Quim Machado at Feirense]. Público (in Portuguese). 2 April 2012. Archived from the original on 2 January 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Estatísticas da Liga" [League Statistics]. LPFP. 5 November 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Estatísticas da Liga" [League Statistics]. Mais Futebol. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- Wolfswinkel wins Best Player Award September (in Portuguese)
- Capel wins Best Player Award October (in Portuguese)
- Toscano wins Best Player Award November (in Portuguese)
- Buval wins Best Player Award December[permanent dead link] (in Portuguese)
- "Cardozo eleito o jogador do mês de janeiro" [Cardozo elected best player of January] (in Portuguese). Record. 3 February 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- Lima eleito melhor jogador de fevereiro pelo Sindicato Archived 29 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine (in Portuguese)
- Mossoró eleito o melhor de março pelo Sindicato Archived 3 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine (in Portuguese)
- Hulk eleito jogador do mês Archived 10 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine (in Portuguese)
- Wilson Eduardo wins Best Young Player Award September (in Portuguese)
- Gomes wins Best Young Player Award October (in Portuguese)
- [sjpf.sapo.pt/default.aspx?ctrl=noticiasdetalhe&id=7530&inter=0 Pinto wins Best Young Player Award November] (in Portuguese)
- Adrien wins Best Young Player Award December[permanent dead link] (in Portuguese)
- Candeias recebe prémio do Sindicato Archived 3 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine (in Portuguese)
- Salvador Agra eleito o melhor jovem de março Archived 3 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine (in Portuguese)
- "Hulk conquista prémio de melhor jogador da Liga 2011/12" [Hulk wins award for best player in the League 2011/12] (in Portuguese). A Bola. 5 July 2012. Archived from the original on 12 July 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.