51st Tony Awards
|51st Tony Awards|
|Date||June 1, 1997|
|Location||Radio City Music Hall, New York City, New York|
The 51st Annual Tony Awards was broadcast by CBS from Radio City Music Hall on June 1, 1997; "Launching the Tonys" was telecast on PBS television . The event was hosted by Rosie O'Donnell. The awards ceremony moved away from Broadway for the first time in 30 years, to Radio City Music Hall, which allowed members of the general public to attend the ceremony.
The opening number: "On Broadway" - Rosie O'Donnell; "Rent" - cast of Rent; "Jellicle Cats" - cast of Cats; "I'm A Woman" - female cast of Smokey Joe's Cafe, "Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk" - cast of Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk; "Greased Lightnin'" - Rosie O'Donnell and cast of Grease; "Be Our Guest" - cast of Beauty and the Beast.
Presenters: Julie Andrews, Lauren Bacall, Alec Baldwin, Christine Baranski, Dixie Carter, Savion Glover, Whoopi Goldberg, Joel Grey, Marilu Henner, Hal Holbrook, Swoosie Kurtz, Liza Minnelli, Mary Tyler Moore, Mandy Patinkin, Bernadette Peters, Chita Rivera, Roseanne, Susan Sarandon, Jimmy Smits, Marisa Tomei, Rip Torn, Leslie Ann Warren, Raquel Welch.
- Steel Pier — "Everybody Dance" - Karen Ziemba, Gregory Harrison and Company;
- The Life — "My Body" - Sam Harris, Lillias White and Company;
- Annie — "Tomorrow" - Brittny Kissinger;
- Candide — "Bon Voyage" - Jim Dale and Company;
- Once Upon a Mattress — "Shy" - Sarah Jessica Parker and male company);
- Chicago — "All That Jazz"/"Hot Honey Rag" - Bebe Neuwirth, Ann Reinking, Company;
- Titanic — "There She Is" - Michael Cerveris and Company.
Winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- Regional Theater Tony Award
- Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre
- Bernard B. Jacobs (posthumously)
- Lefkowitz, David. "'Titanic', 'Ballyhoo' Win Top Tonys" playbill.com, June 1, 1997