12th Tony Awards
|12th Tony Awards|
|Date||April 13, 1958|
New York City
|Hosted by||Bud Collyer|
The 12th Annual Tony Awards took place at the Waldorf-Astoria Grand Ballroom on April 13, 1958. Bud Collyer was the Master of Ceremonies. For the second year the program was not telecast, due to a strike against WCBS-TV.
Presenters: Sydney Chaplin, Greer Garson, Judy Holliday, Celeste Holm, Nancy Kelly, Mary Martin, Elsa Maxwell, Laurence Olivier, Tyrone Power, Martha Scott, Phil Silvers, Walter Slezak. Performers were Mindy Carson and Bill Hayes. Music was by Meyer Davis and his Orchestra.
Winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- Sunrise at Campobello by Dore Schary. Produced by Lawrence Langner, Theresa Helburn, Armina Marshall and Dore Schary.
- The Rope Dancers by Morton Wishengrad. Produced by the Playwrights Company and Gilbert Miller.
- Two for the Seesaw by William Gibson. Produced by Fred Coe.
- Time Remembered by Jean Anouilh. English version by Patricia Moyes. Produced by the Playwrights Company, in association with Milton Sperling.
- The Dark at the Top of the Stairs by William Inge. Produced by Saint-Subber and Elia Kazan.
- Look Back in Anger by John Osborne. Produced by David Merrick.
- Look Homeward, Angel by Ketti Frings. Produced by Kermit Bloomgarden and Theatre 200, Inc.
- Romanoff and Juliet by Peter Ustinov. Produced by David Merrick.
- The Music Man. Book by Meredith Willson and Franklin Lacey, music and lyrics by Meredith Willson. Produced by Kermit Bloomgarden and Herbert Greene, in association with Frank Productions.
- West Side Story. Book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. Produced by Robert Griffiths and Harold S. Prince.
- New Girl In Town. Book by George Abbott, music and lyrics by Bob Merrill. Produced by Robert Griffiths and Harold S. Prince.
- Oh, Captain! Book by Al Morgan and José Ferrer, music and lyrics by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans. Produced by Howard Merrill and Theatre Corporation of America.
- Jamaica. Book by E. Y. Harburg and Fred Saidy, music by Harold Arlen, lyrics by E. Y. Harburg. Produced by David Merrick
- Ralph Bellamy (Sunrise at Campobello)
- Richard Burton (Time Remembered)
- Hugh Griffith (Look Homeward, Angel)
- Laurence Olivier (The Entertainer)
- Anthony Perkins (Look Homeward, Angel)
- Peter Ustinov (Ramanoff and Juliet)
- Emlyn Williams (A Boy Growing Up)
- Helen Hayes (Time Remembered)
- Wendy Hiller (A Moon for the Misbegotten)
- Eugenie Leontovich (The Cave Dwellers)
- Siobhán McKenna (The Rope Dancers)
- Mary Ure (Look Back in Anger)
- Jo Van Fleet (Look Homeward Angel)
- Robert Preston (The Music Man)
- Ricardo Montalbán (Jamaica!)
- Eddie Foy, Jr. (Rumple)
- Tony Randall (Oh, Captain!)
- Thelma Ritter (New Girl In Town)(tie)
- Gwen Verdon (New Girl In Town)(tie)
- Lena Horne (Jamiaca!)
- Beatrice Lillie (Ziegfeld Follies)
- Henry Jones (Sunrise at Campobello)
- Sig Arno (Time Remembered)
- Theodore Bikel (The Rope Dancers)
- Pat Hingle (The Dark at the Top of the Stairs)
- George Relph (The Entertainer)
- Anne Bancroft (Two for The Seesaw)
- Brenda De Banzie (The Entertainer)
- Joan Blondell (The Rope Dancers)
- Mary Fickett (Sunrise at Campobello)
- Eileen Heckart (The Dark at the Top of the Stairs)
- David Burns (The Music Man)
- Ossie Davis (Jamaica)
- Cameron Prud'Homme (New Girl In Town)
- Iggie Wolfington (The Music Man)
- Barbara Cook (The Music Man)
- Susan Johnson (Oh, Captain!)
- Carol Lawrence (West Side Story)
- Jacquelyn McKeever (Oh, Captain!)
- Josephine Premice (Jamaica)
- Vincent J. Donehue (Sunrise at Campobello)
- Morton DaCosta (The Music Man)
- Peter Hall (The Rope Dancers)
- George Roy Hill (Look Homeward, Angel)
- Elia Kazan (The Dark at the Top of the Stairs)
- Arthur Penn (Two for The Seesaw)
- Oliver Smith (West Side Story)
- Boris Aronson (Orpheus Descending / A Hole in the Head / The Rope Dancers)
- Ben Edwards (The Dark at the Top of the Stairs)
- Jo Mielziner (Look Homeward, Angel / Miss Lonelyhearts / The Square Root of Wonderful / Oh, Captain! / The Day the Money Stopped)
- Oliver Smith (Brigadoon / Carousel / Jamaica / Nude with Violin / Time Remembered / West Side Story)
- Peter Larkin (Blue Denim, Compulsion, Good As Gold, Miss Isobel)
- Motley (The First Gentleman)
- Lucinda Ballard (Orpheus Descending)
- Motley (Look Back in Anger / Look Homeward, Angel / Shinbone Alley / The Country Wife / The First Gentleman)
- Irene Sharaff (West Side Story)
- Miles White (Jamaica / Time Remembered / Oh, Captain!)
- New York Shakespeare Festival, for presenting free performances in Central Park and the Hecksher Theater
- Mrs. Louise Beck, for fifteen years of untiring dedication to the American Theatre Wing, which she served as treasurer, secretary and chairman of the board of directors. (Presented by Elaine Perry, daughter of Antoinette Perry.)
- Circle in the Square, Phoenix Theatre, Esther Hawley