35th Tony Awards
|35th Tony Awards|
|Date||June 8, 1981|
|Location||Mark Hellinger Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Ellen Burstyn and Richard Chamberlain|
The 35th Annual Tony Awards was broadcast by CBS television on June 8, 1981 from the Mark Hellinger Theatre. The hosts were Ellen Burstyn and Richard Chamberlain. The theme was "Women's Achievements in the Theatre."
Presenters: Jane Alexander, Lucie Arnaz, Beatrice Arthur, Lauren Bacall, Zoe Caldwell, Diahann Carroll, Nell Carter, Colleen Dewhurst, José Ferrer, Phyllis Frelich, Julie Harris, Helen Hayes, Celeste Holm, Lena Horne, Judith Jamison, Marjorie Bradley Kellogg, Angela Lansbury, Jane Lapotaire, Michael Learned, Priscilla Lopez, Patti LuPone, Andrea McArdle, Carolyn Mignini, Ann Miller, Tharon Musser, Patricia Neal, Carole Bayer Sager, Ntozake Shange, Meryl Streep, Elizabeth Taylor, Lynne Thigpen, Mary Catherine Wright, Patricia Zipprodt.
Performers: Richard Chamberlain, José Ferrer, Robert Goulet, Robert Klein, Jack Klugman, Peter Nero, Tony Randall, Christopher Reeve, Jason Robards, Tony Roberts, Richard Thomas, Ben Vereen, Billy Dee Williams.
- A Chorus Line ("What I Did For Love" - Priscilla Lopez)
- Ain't Misbehavin' ("Honeysuckle Rose" - Nell Carter)
- Annie ("Tomorrow" - Andrea McArdle)
- Evita ("Buenos Aires" - Patti LuPone)
- 42nd Street ("Lullaby of Broadway" - Jerry Orbach and Company)
- Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music ("If You Believe" - Lena Horne)
- Piaf ("La Vie en Rose" - Jane Lapotaire)
- Sophisticated Ladies ("Rockin' in Rhythm" - Company)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ("By The Sea" - Angela Lansbury)
- Tintypes (It's Delightful to be Married"/"Fifty-Fifty" - Company)
- Woman of the Year ("One of the Boys" - Lauren Bacall and Men)
Winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- Lena Horne for Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music
- Regional Theatre Award: Trinity Square Repertory Company, Providence, Rhode Island