|Servant of God
Mural of Antony Thachuparambil at Kottat Church, Chalakudy, Kerala
|Catholic priest, Social Reformer|
8 December 1894|
Kottat, Thrissur District, Kerala, India
|Died||9 June 1963
Chelakkara, Thrissur district
|Venerated in||Syro-Malabar Catholic Church|
|Major shrine||St. Mary's Church, Chelakkara|
Antony Thachuparambil (8 December 1894-9 June 1963), popularly known as the Missionary of Chelakkara was an Indian Syro-Malabar priest and social reformer who worked in the backward area of Chelakkara, Thrissur District, Kerala, India. He was declared Servant of God by the Holy See for his Heroic Virtues in 2009.
Antony Thachuparambil was born on 8 December 1894 in Kottat, a suburban village of Chalakudy in Kerala to Poulose and Rosa. He had his early schooling in Chalakudy Government High School and college education in St. Joseph's College, Tiruchirappalli. He continued his pastoral education at Mary Matha Major Seminary, Thrissur and was ordained on 22 Dec 1924.
Thachuparambil started his career in 1928 as the first Chaplain of Chelakkara, a backward forest area in Thrissur. There, he worked among the poor and he built St. Mary’s Forane Church, a school for girls (Little Flower Girls High School), a destitute home for children which was later renamed Fr. Antony Balabhavan, a convent for nuns, Little Flower Convent  and a health clinic which later grew to become Jeevodaya Mission Hospital.
Thachuparambil's contributions for the overall development of Chelakkara, reportedly irrespective of the caste, creed or colour, were considered by the Roman Catholic Church when deciding upon initiation of his canonization process. Paul Pulikkan was appointed the postulator and as the first step towards canonization, Antony Thachuparambil was declared Servant of God by the Roman Catholic Church on 9 December 2009. Thachuparambil is said to be credited with several miracles which are being considered and verified by Roman Catholic Church.
In the media
- "History". St. Mary's Church, Chelakkara. 2015. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "chelakkara.pdf - Google Drive". Docs.google.com. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Glorified Souls". Archdiocese of Trichur. 2017-11-07. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- "chelakkara". Smcim.org. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Little Flower Convent". Smcim.org. 1930-05-30. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Jeevodhaya Mission Hospital". Smcim.org. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "DEVOTIONS & PRAYERS: June 2009". Devotionsandprayers.blogspot.ae. 2009-06-09. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "1963". Newsaints.faithweb.com. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- Fr. Antony Thachuparambil (Documentary). SaintsTown (Episode 22 ed.). Chelakkara, Kerala, India: Shalom Television. 2015. 27:46 minutes in.
- "Home Page". Frthachuparambil.org. 2017-11-07. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- "Jeevodhaya Mission Hospital". Syro-Malabar Church. 2017-11-07. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- "SAINTS, BLESSEDS, VENERABLES, SERVANTS OF GOD OF THE SYRO MALABAR CHURCH". Syro-Malabar Church. 2017-11-07. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- on Wikimapia