Armenia's President Robert Kocharyan paid an official visit to Japan on December 2001, holding meetings with Japan's Emperor and Prime Minister. He announced that the nation was planning to set up an embassy in Tokyo as soon as possible.
The relations between Armenia and Japan were officially established on 7 September 1992. Prior to this, relations were through the Soviet Union.
Originally, Armenia was represented at Japan's Beijing embassy, and Japan was represented at Armenia's Moscow embassy. The Armenian embassy in Tokyo was opened on 13 July 2010, and the Japanese embassy in Yerevan was built on 1 January 2015. Armenia initially did not have an ambassador to Japan, until May 2012, when Grant Pogosyan was appointed as the Armenian ambassador.
On 29 June 2017, it was announced by the Japanese Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Motome Takisawa that visa requirements for Armenian nationals will be relaxed, beginning on 1 September 2017, and on 31 August 2017, Armenia lifted visa requirements for Japanese citizens.
- Amirkhanyan, M. D., R. K. Karapetyan, and N. H. Hovhannisyan. Hayastan–Chaponia: kʻaghakʻakan, tntesakan, mshakutʻayin ev gitakan haraberutʻyunner / アルメニア・日本: 政治・経済・文化・科学的な交流 Arumenia/Nihon: Seiji, keizai, bunka, kagakuteki na kōryū / Armenia–Japan: Political, Economic, Cultural and Scientific Relations. Erevan: "Zangak-97", 2005. ISBN 99941-1-010-1.
- "Armenia - Japan". Embassy of Armenia to Japan. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Armenia's President met Japan's Emperor". PanArmenia Net. 20 December 2001. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Japan-Armenia Relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- Maruko, Mami (12 November 2012). "Envoy acts as bridge between Japan, Armenia". Japan Times. Retrieved 2 September 2017.
- "Relaxation of Visa Requirements Nationals for Armenia". Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- Ghazanchyan, Siranush (31 August 2017). "Armenia lifts visa requirements for citizens of Japan". Public Radio of Armenia. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- The publication details of this book differ according to the OPAC. See the entries for this ISBN at Worldcat and also the entry[permanent dead link] for the library of the Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO. This appears to be an image of a Japanese-language cover.