November 16, 1983 |
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||169 lb (77 kg; 12 st 1 lb)|
|Reach||70.0 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Glendale, Arizona|
|Rank||Black belt in Taekwondo
Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under John Crouch
|Years active||2006-present (MMA)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable school(s)||Decatur High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|Competitor for United States|
|IBJJF World Jiu-Jitsu Championship|
|2011 Long Beach||-76 kg (Brown)|
Benson Henderson (born November 16, 1983), is an American mixed martial artist who competes for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and is a former UFC Lightweight Champion and WEC Lightweight Champion. As of September 29, 2014, he is the #5 contender in the UFC lightweight division and ranked as the #6 lightweight in the world according to Sherdog and by numerous other publications.
Henderson was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado to a Korean American mother and an African American father. He was raised in Federal Way, Washington. When Henderson was approximately 9 years old, his mother, Song, insisted that he take Tae Kwon Do lessons with his brother. "She's Korean, I'm half-Korean, and it's the traditional Korean martial art, so she wanted us to do that to get a little bit of the culture and tradition," he says. Both Benson and his brother attained black belts in Tae Kwon Do.
He attended Decatur High School from 1998 to 2001. Benson became a part of the high school's wrestling team. After graduating from high school, he attended Dana College in Blair, Nebraska and graduated in 2006 with a double major in criminal justice and sociology. While attending Dana College, Henderson was on the wrestling team, and was twice named an NAIA All-American.
I don't drink—I've never had a sip of alcohol. I've never had a puff of a cigarette or weed or anything like that. Growing up in Tacoma, that wasn't a very popular choice. I made a decision, and whenever it came up, I passed the dutchie to the left hand side ... People have seen that. They see I don't do the club scene. By people seeing that, that affects them in a bigger way than me talking about it.
Mixed martial arts career
Henderson turned professional in 2006, winning his first match against Dan Gregary. He lost his third fight to Rocky Johnson via submission. However, this defeat was a minor setback. He rebounded with four straight wins before facing his toughest fight yet, against a UFC veteran, Diego Saraiva. Henderson came prepared as he dominated Saraiva for three rounds, winning a unanimous decision and his 7th professional win.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Three months later, Henderson made his World Extreme Cagefighting debut on January 25, 2009 at WEC 38 against Anthony Njokuani. Henderson defeated Njokuani with a guillotine choke early in round two.
Henderson was given an opportunity to fight for the Interim WEC Lightweight Championship against Donald Cerrone when lightweight champion Jamie Varner was unable to defend his title due to an injury. The fight tok place on October 10, 2009 at WEC 43. Henderson won an exciting back-and-forth fight by unanimous decision. Both Henderson and Cerrone were awarded with an additional purse of $20,000 for fight of the night. The bout was also awarded 2009 Fight of the Year for all of MMA by Sherdog.com
Henderson faced Jamie Varner to unify the WEC Lightweight Championship at WEC 46 on January 10, 2010. After being outboxed and outwrestled in the first two rounds, Henderson came back and caught Varner in a standing guillotine choke ending the fight at 2:41 of the third round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Henderson next faced Jim Miller on August 14, 2011, at UFC on Versus 5. Henderson dominated the streaking Miller throughout the fight, utilizing a stiff jab, great transitions, and vicious ground and pound throughout the match to snap Miller's 7 fight win streak, the third longest in the UFC at the time. Despite being threatened with multiple deep submission attempts, Henderson escaped each attempt and advanced position with increasingly brutal punches and elbows. He earned a unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-26).
Henderson faced Clay Guida on November 12, 2011, at UFC on Fox 1. He won the fight via unanimous decision after three rounds in an action packed war that earned both fighters Fight of the Night honors. With the win, he became the #1 contender for the UFC Lightweight title.
Henderson faced Frankie Edgar on February 26, 2012, at UFC 144. Henderson defeated Edgar via unanimous decision to become the new UFC Lightweight Champion. Both participants earned Fight of the Night honors for their performance.
Henderson faced Nate Diaz on December 8, 2012, at UFC on Fox 5. Henderson punished Diaz with kicks, superior wrestling and ground and pound, Henderson knocked Diaz down twice with punches and was able to take his back on numerous occasions earning a unanimous decision victory.
Henderson faced the final Strikeforce Lightweight Champion, and promotional newcomer Gilbert Melendez on April 20, 2013, at UFC on Fox 7. Henderson won the fight by a closely contested split decision. After 3 consecutive wins to retain the title, Henderson tied BJ Penn with the highest number of title defenses as a lightweight.
Henderson was expected to face TJ Grant on August 31, 2013, at UFC 164. However, Grant was forced out of the bout with an injury, setting up a rematch with Anthony Pettis who defeated Henderson last time they fought via unanimous decision at the final WEC event, WEC 53. Pettis defeated Henderson via submission (armbar) in the first round. This is the second time Henderson lost his championship belt and title to Pettis.
In his first post-title loss fight, Henderson faced Josh Thomson on January 25, 2014, in the main event at UFC on Fox 10. Henderson defeated Thomson via split decision. He nearly became the first man to submit Thomson when he caught Thomson in a standing arm-triangle choke. Many media outlets and observers were split on who they thought should have been declared the winner. Thomson had one more takedown (5 to 4) and was able to secure Henderson's back on multiple occasions, while Henderson was able to significantly outstrike Thomson (114 to 33) over the duration of the bout and was credited with the bout's only submission attempt.
Henderson faced Rustam Khabilov on June 7, 2014, in the main event at UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov. He won the fight via rear-naked choke submission in the fourth round. The win also earned Henderson his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Henderson was scheduled to fight Eddie Alvarez on January 18, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 59. However, Alvarez pulled out of the fight in early January due to illness, and was replaced by Donald Cerrone in a rematch. Henderson lost the fight via a controversial unanimous decision. 12 of 14 media outlets scored the bout in favor of Henderson.
Henderson was expected to face Jorge Masvidal on April 4, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 63. However, Henderson was pulled from the pairing with Masvidal in favor of a welterweight bout with Brandon Thatch on February 14, 2015 in the event headliner at UFC Fight Night 60, where he replaced an injured Stephen Thompson. Henderson won the back and forth fight via submission in the fourth round. Their performance earned both participants Fight of the Night honors
A bout with Michael Johnson was initally linked as the event headliner for The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale on July 12, 2015. Although never offically announced by the UFC, the bout between Henderson and Johnson will not take place at this event.
Henderson is a Christian, and often refers to his religious beliefs in post-fight interviews. He is married to Maria Magana and has one older brother, Julius Henderson, who was born in Korea. Henderson proposed to his fiancée in the Octagon after his win over Gilbert Melendez at UFC on Fox 7.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- World Extreme Cagefighting
- Inside MMA
- 2012 Fighter of the Year Bazzie Award
- 2012 Fighter of the Year
- 2012 Fighter of the Year
- International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation
- 2011 World Jiu-Jitsu Championship Brown Belt Bronze Medalist
- 2014 World Jiu Jitsu No-Gi Championship Black Belt Bronze Medalist
- Arizona State Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation
- AZSBJJF MVP of the Year (2010)
- Arizona State Championship Brown Belt Middleweight Gold Medalist (Two times)
- Arizona State Championship Purple Belt Middleweight Gold Medalist (Two times)
- Arizona State Championship Openweight Gold Medalist (Three times)
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Washington Interscholastic Activities Association
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|27 matches||22 wins||5 losses|
|Win||22–5||Brandon Thatch||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Thatch||February 14, 2015||4||3:58||Broomfield, Colorado, United States||Welterweight bout. Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||21–5||Donald Cerrone||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Siver||January 18, 2015||3||5:00||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Loss||21–4||Rafael dos Anjos||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. dos Anjos||August 23, 2014||1||2:31||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||21–3||Rustam Khabilov||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov||June 7, 2014||4||1:16||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||20–3||Josh Thomson||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson||January 25, 2014||5||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||19–3||Anthony Pettis||Submission (armbar)||UFC 164||August 31, 2013||1||4:31||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States||Lost the UFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||19–2||Gilbert Melendez||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||5||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||Defended the UFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||18–2||Nate Diaz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||5||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States||Defended the UFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||17–2||Frankie Edgar||Decision (split)||UFC 150||August 11, 2012||5||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States||Defended the UFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||16–2||Frankie Edgar||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 144||February 26, 2012||5||5:00||Saitama, Japan||Won the UFC Lightweight Championship; Fight of the Night.|
|Win||15–2||Clay Guida||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos||November 12, 2011||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States||UFC Lightweight title eliminator; Fight of the Night.|
|Win||14–2||Jim Miller||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||13–2||Mark Bocek||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 129||April 30, 2011||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||12–2||Anthony Pettis||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 53||December 16, 2010||5||5:00||Glendale, Arizona, United States||Lost the WEC Lightweight Championship; Fight of the Night; Fight of the Year (2010).|
|Win||12–1||Donald Cerrone||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 48||April 24, 2010||1||1:57||Sacramento, California, United States||Defended the WEC Lightweight Championship; Submission of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Jamie Varner||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 46||January 10, 2010||3||2:41||Sacramento, California, United States||Won and Unified the WEC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||10–1||Donald Cerrone||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 43||October 10, 2009||5||5:00||San Antonio, Texas, United States||Won the Interim WEC Lightweight Championship; Fight of the Night. Fight of the Year (2009).|
|Win||9–1||Shane Roller||TKO (punches)||WEC 40||April 5, 2009||1||1:41||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||8–1||Anthony Njokuani||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 38||January 25, 2009||2||0:42||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||7–1||Diego Saraiva||Decision (unanimous)||Evolution MMA||October 4, 2008||3||5:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||6–1||Ricardo Tirloni||Submission (guillotine choke)||MFC 17: Hostile Takeover||July 25, 2008||2||3:49||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||5–1||Mike Maestas||Submission (rear-naked choke)||MFC 16: Anger Management||May 9, 2008||3||4:11||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||4–1||Bryan Corley||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Victory FC 21: Infamous||December 7, 2007||1||2:36||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Win||3–1||David Dagloria||Submission (punches)||Ultimate Combat Experience: Round 26: Episode 12||June 23, 2007||1||1:45||Ogden, Utah, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Rocky Johnson||Technical Submission (anaconda choke)||Battlequest 5: Avalanche||March 31, 2007||1||0:46||Vail, Colorado, United States||160 lb catchweight bout.|
|Win||2–0||Allen Williams||TKO (punches)||Victory FC 18: Hitmen||February 16, 2007||1||1:37||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Win||1–0||Dan Gregary||Submission (punches)||Midwest Championship Fighting: Genesis||November 18, 2006||1||4:21||North Platte, Nebraska, United States|
- "Benson Henderson - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Henderson vs. Khabilov". UFC.com. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- Ariel Helwani (June 4, 2013). "Celebrities congratulate Benson Henderson on receiving his BJJ black belt". MMA Fighting.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "WEC - World Extreme Cagefighting - Benson Henderson". www.wec.tv.
- Staff (January 22, 2009). "WEC Finalizes WEC 38 Fight Card". fightline.com.com.
- Sam Caplan (February 2, 2009). "Shane Roller vs. Ben Henderson set for WEC 40 in April". fiveouncesofpain.com.com.
- "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson on October 10 in San Antonio, Texas". MMAFrenzy.com. Retrieved August 29, 2009.
- "HENDERSON & CERRONE EARN EXTRA WITH WEC BONUSES". www.mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2009-10-11.
- "Sherdog's Fight of the Year". www.sherdog.com. Retrieved 2010-01-14.
- Adam Wagner (2009-11-02). "WEC 46: 'Varner vs Henderson' announced for Arco Arena on Jan. 10". mmmamania.com. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Ray Hui (2010-01-10). "WEC 46: Ben Henderson Submits Jamie Varner, Unifies Lightweight Belts". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- Nelo2.0 (2010-02-03). "WEC 48: “Aldo vs Faber” Officially Announced for PPV Event, Henderson vs Cerrone added". urdirt.com. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "WEC 48: Ben Henderson submits Donald Cerrone". mmaedition.com. 2010-04-24. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "HENDERSON VS. PETTIS OFFICIAL FOR WEC DEC 16". MMAweekly.com. 2010-09-23.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- Gene Mrosko (January 4, 2011). "UFC 129: Ben Henderson vs Mark Bocek booked for April 30 in Toronto". mmammamania.com.
- Nate Wilcox (April 30, 2011). "UFC 129 Results: Ben Henderson Whips Up On Mark Bocek". bloodyelbow.com.
- "Jim Miller Faces Benson Henderson in a Lightweight Bout at UFC on Versus 5". mmaweekly.com. May 11, 2011.
- Ross Cole (August 14, 2011). "Ben Henderson Defeats Jim Miller At UFC On Versus 5". fightofthenight.com.
- "Clay Guida vs. Benson Henderson in the works for UFC on FOX 1". mmajunkie.com. 2011-09-06.
- Leland Roling (2011-11-12). "UFC on Fox Results: Ben Henderson Edges Clay Guida in Wild Affair". bloodyelbow.com.
- "UFC champ Frankie Edgar faces Benson Henderson at February's UFC Japan event". mmajunkie.com. November 12, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- Michael David Smith (2012-02-26). "UFC 144 Results: Ben Henderson beats Frankie Edgar". mmafighting.com.
- Gene Mrosko (2012-02-26). "UFC 144 bonuses and awards for 'Edgar vs Henderson' in Japan". mmamania.com.
- "Benson Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar II official for UFC 150 in Denver". mmajunkie.com. May 8, 2012.
- "UFC 150 Results: Benson Henderson Takes the Decision Over Frankie Edgar". mmafighting.com. Aug 12, 2012.
- "Benson Henderson Vs Nate Diaz Headlines Stacked UFC On FOX 5 Event". fightofthenight.com.com. August 15, 2012.
- Gene Mrosko (December 8, 2012). "UFC on FOX 5 results: Ben Henderson destroys Nate Diaz to retain lightweight title". mmamania.com.
- Mike Chiapetta (2013-01-14). "UFC on FOX 7 targeted for Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez lightweight title fight". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-01-14.
- Staff (April 21, 2013). "Benson Henderson edges out Gilbert Melendez at UFC on Fox 7". insidemma.com.au.
- Mike Bohn (2013-06-04). "Benson Henderson vs. T.J. Grant lightweight title fight announced as UFC 164 headliner". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- John Morgan (2013-07-12). "T.J. Grant injured, Anthony Pettis now meets champ Benson Henderson at UFC 164". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Matt Erickson (2013-11-17). "Benson Henderson vs. Josh Thomson headlines UFC on FOX 10 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Brett Okamoto (2014-01-25). "Henderson edges Thomson in thriller". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Staff (2014-01-25). "Benson Henderson defeats Josh Thomson". mmadecisions.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Benson Henderson gets controversial nod over Josh Thomson at UFC on Fox 10
- UFC on FOX 10 results: Ben Henderson wins controversial call over Josh Thomson
- "UFC on Fox 10". hosteddb.fightmetric.com. 2014-01-25. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Staff (2014-03-18). "Benson Henderson-Rustam Khabilov headline June UFC event in Albuquerque". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Staff (2014-06-08). "UFC Fight Night 42 bonuses: Henderson, Hallmann among award winners". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- Ryan Grab (2014-06-17). "UFC in Tulsa main event announced". tulsaworld.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Staff (2014-10-29). "Benson Henderson vs. Eddie Alvarez co-headlines UFC Fight Night 59 in Boston". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- Staff (2015-01-05). "Donald Cerrone replaces Eddie Alvarez, meets Benson Henderson at UFC Fight Night 59". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-05.
- Brett Okamoto (2015-01-19). "Donald Cerrone earns close decision". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2015-01-19.
- "Donald Cerrone defeats Benson Henderson". mmadecisions.com. Retrieved 2015-01-19.
- Damon Martin (2015-01-22). "Bobby Green injured; Benson Henderson now faces Jorge Masvidal in Virginia". foxsports.com.com. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-02-01). "Benson Henderson moves up to welterweight, faces Brandon Thatch in UFN 60 main event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-01.
- Thomas Myers (2015-02-15). "UFC Fight Night 60 results: Ben Henderson survives Brandon Thatch beating, scores sensational rear-naked choke submission". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-02-15.
- Staff (2015-02-15). "UFC Fight Night 60 bonuses: Neil Magny got his first $50,000. Who joined him?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-15.
- Staff (2015-04-20). "Benson Henderson vs. Michael Johnson targeted for TUF 21 Finale on July 12". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-20.
- Ariel Helwani (2015-05-15). "Benson Henderson vs. Michael Johnson off TUF 21 Finale card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
- "Ben Henderson Praises Christ After UFC Lightweight Title Win". christianpost. February 27, 2012.
- "Maria Magana is MMA Benson Henderson’s Girlfriend".
- "Northwest Asian Weekly - Smooth Operator". www.nwasianweekly.com. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- "UFC on FOX 7 video: Benson Henderson proposes in octagon after title win". MMAjunkie.com. April 21, 2013.
- "Experts' picks: 2012 MMA awards". espn.go.com.
- "2012 Bazzie Awards". youtube.com.
- "Benson Henderson: MMAWeekly.com’s 2012 Fighter of the Year". MMAWeekly.com.
- "FightMatrix MMA Awards". FightMatrix.com.
- "Fight of the Year: Anthony Pettis vs. Benson Henderson". MMAFighting.com.
- "Fight of the Year: Benson Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone". MMAFighting.com.
- "USA TODAY 2010 MMA Awards: New faces appear". USAToday.com. December 23, 2010.
- "SI.com's 2009 MMA Awards". sportsillustrated.cnn.com. December 28, 2009.
- "SHERDOG.COM’S 2012 FIGHTER OF THE YEAR". Sherdog.com.
- "SHERDOG.COM’S 2009 FIGHT OF THE YEAR". Sherdog.com.
- Official Site
- Professional MMA record for Benson Henderson from Sherdog
- Official UFC Profile
- Ben Henderson Quotes
|Awards and achievements|
|New title||1st WEC Interim Lightweight Champion
October 10, 2009 - January 10, 2010
|6th WEC Lightweight Champion
January 10, 2010 - December 16, 2010
|5th UFC Lightweight Champion
February 26, 2012 – August 31, 2013