UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos
|UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos|
A poster or logo for UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 12, 2011|
UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. dos Santos (also known as UFC on Fox 1) was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on November 12, 2011 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.
This card marked the UFC's debut on the Fox Network. Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed that the debut show would be a one-hour special with only the main event airing live on television, but a full preliminary card taking place beforehand.
The UFC on Fox main event broadcast marked the most-watched live hour ever for MMA in the United States and averaged 5.7 million viewers. The ratings peaked in the United States at 8.8 million viewers for the main event.
|Main card (Fox)|
|Heavyweight||Junior dos Santos||def.||Cain Velasquez (c)||KO (punches)||1||1:04||[a]|
|Preliminary card (Facebook)|
|Lightweight||Benson Henderson||def.||Clay Guida||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Featherweight||Dustin Poirier||def.||Pablo Garza||Submission (D'Arce choke)||2||1:32|
|Featherweight||Ricardo Lamas||def.||Cub Swanson||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||2||2:16|
|Welterweight||DaMarques Johnson||def.||Clay Harvison||TKO (punches)||1||1:34||[c]|
|Bantamweight||Darren Uyenoyama||def.||Norifumi Yamamoto||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–26, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Robbie Peralta||vs.||Mackens Semerzier||No Contest||3||1:54||[d]|
|Bantamweight||Alex Caceres||def.||Cole Escovedo||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Mike Pierce||def.||Paul Bradley||Decision (split) (28–29, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Aaron Rosa||def.||Matt Lucas||Decision (majority) (28–28, 30–26, 30–26)||3||5:00||[e]|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
- This UFC Lightweight Championship title eliminator bout aired on the broadcast followed by the dos Santos vs Velasquez bout.
- This bout aired on the broadcast following the dos Santos vs Velasquez bout.
- Originally ruled a TKO victory for Peralta, result was overturned due to replay indicating the damage was initiated by an accidental headbutt.
- Lucas had 1 point deducted in round 2 for dropping his mouthpiece for the second time.
Fighters were awarded $65,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Clay Guida vs. Benson Henderson
- Knockout of the Night: Junior dos Santos
- Submission of the Night: Ricardo Lamas
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the California State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Junior dos Santos: $220,000 ($110,000 win bonus) def. Cain Velasquez: $100,000
- Ben Henderson: $60,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Clay Guida: $40,000
- Dustin Poirier: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Pablo Garza: $8,000
- Ricardo Lamas: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Cub Swanson: $15,000
- DaMarques Johnson: $28,000 ($14,000 win bonus) def. Clay Harvison: $8,000
- Darren Uyenoyama: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Norifumi Yamamoto: $15,000
- Robert Peralta: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Mackens Semerzier: $8,000
- Alex Caceres: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Cole Escovedo: $6,000
- Mike Pierce: $36,000 ($18,000 win bonus) def. Paul Bradley: $8,000
- Aaron Rosa: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Matt Lucas: $6,000
- "UFC on FOX officially draws 11,607 attendance for $1.07 million gate". MMAjunkie.com. November 17, 2011.
- Pugmire, Lance. "UFC's Fox TV debut features Cain Velasquez-Junior Dos Santos bout." LA Times. 09, 02, 2011: n. page. Web. 1 Dec. 2012. <http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/02/sports/la-sp-0903-ufc-20110903
- "Details emerge regarding first UFC on FOX event". lasvegassun.com. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- "Velasquez-Dos Santos will be lone fight on UFC on FOX 1, regardless of length". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- "In addition to title fight, FOX Deportes to air Henderson-Guida and Poirier-Garza". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX's Guida vs. Henderson winner expected to face champ Edgar in Japan". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "UFC on Fox sets MMA mark for viewers". USA Today. November 13, 2011. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX peaks with 8.8 million viewers for Velasquez-Dos Santos title fight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 16, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX bonuses: Dos Santos, Lamas, Henderson, Guida earn $65K fighter awards". MMAjunkie.com. November 12, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX salaries and payouts for 'Velasquez vs Dos Santos' event fighters". mmamania.com. November 17, 2010.