Bishnupur, South 24 Parganas
|District||South 24 Parganas|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Diamond Harbour|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Bishnupur|
As per 2011 Census of India Bishnupur had a total population of 5,030, of which 2,561 (51%) were males and 2,469 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 431. The total number of literates in Bishnupur was 4,099 (74.54 % of the population over 6 years).
As of 2001[update] India census, Bishnupur had a population of 4,529. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Bishnupur has an average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 86% and female literacy of 77%. 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
High levels of arsenic in ground water was found in 12 blocks of the district. Water samples collected from tubewells in the affected places contained arsenic above the normal level (10 microgram a litre as specified by the World Health Organisation). The affected blocks are Baruipur, Bhangar I, Bhangar II, Bishnupur I, Bishnupur II, Basanti, Budge Budge, Canning I, Canning II, Sonarpur, Mograhat II and Joynagar.
- "Census of India". District-wise list of stautory towns. Directorate of census operations, West Bengal. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Bishnupur
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "High arsenic levels in South". The Statesman, 24 June 2007. Archived from the original on September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-03.