|Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
|District||South 24 Parganas|
|• Body||Baruipur Municipality|
|• Total||9.50 km2 (3.67 sq mi)|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|• Density||5,600/km2 (14,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||+91 33 2423/2433|
|Vehicle registration||WB-01 to WB-10, WB-19, WB-20, WB-22, WB-22U, WB-95, WB-96|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Jadavpur|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Baruipur Paschim|
Baruipur is a city and a municipality under Baruipur police station of South 24 Parganas district in the Indian State of West Bengal. It is a neighbourhood in South Kolkata. Baruipur is a part of the area covered by the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA). It is the headquarters of the Baruipur subdivision and also the seat for the Sub-Divisional Court of South 24 Parganas district. The Baruipur Police District is responsible for law enforcement in the city.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Climate
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Transport
- 5 Theme Township Project
- 6 Civic Administration
- 7 Bank/ ATM/ Important Organisations
- 8 History
- 9 Culture
- 10 Education
- 11 Shopping
- 12 Places of Interest
- 13 Media
- 14 Healthcare
- 15 References
Baruipur is located at  It has an average elevation of 9 m (30 ft)..
The climate is tropical — like the rest of the Gangetic West Bengal. The hallmark is the Monsoon — from early June to mid September. The weather remains dry during the winter (mid November to mid February) and humid during summer.
Temperature: 40 °C in May(Max) and 10 °C in January(Min)
Relative Humidity: Between 55% in March & 98% in July
As per 2011 Census of India, Baruipur had a total population of 53,128, of which 26,718 (50%) were males and 26,410 (50%) were females. Population below 6 years was 3,763. The total number of literates in Baruipur was 45,434 (92.04% of the population over 6 years).
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Railway is the primary mode of transport of Baruipur. The entire area of Baruipur is served by the Baruipur Junction railway stations on the Sealdah South lines of the Kolkata Suburban Railway. Baruipur Junction is one of the busiest stations of Sealdah division. More than 76 pairs of local trains ply through Baruipur Junction on a daily basis.
- EMU Services (From Sealdah South)
- Other EMU Services
- Kolkata - Baruipur ( Kolkata Dep 17:10)
- Baruipur - Lakshmikantapur (Dep 7:15, 18:30)
- Baruipur - Diamond Harbour (Dep 9:22)
- Baruipur - Sonarpur (Dep 21:15, 22:00)
- CTC Bus Routes
- C26 Baruipur – Howrah via Kamalgazi, Ruby Hospital, CIT Road, Moulali
- E26 Baruipur – Howrah Station
- C46 Baruipur – Nabanna via Sirakole, Amtala, Behala
- CSTC Bus Routes
- WBSTC Bus Routes
- ST12 Baruipur - Shapoorji (FT)
- Jaynagar – Howrah Station (FT)
- Jaynagar – Esplanade (FT)
- Gadkhali – Esplanade (FT)
- SBSTC Bus Routes
- Private Bus Routes
- STA Bus Routes
- Baruipur – Barasat
- SD Series Bus Routes
- SD29 Baruipur – Amtala
- SD33 Baruipur – Jharkhali
- SD63 Baruipur – Gadkhali
- SD64 Baruipur – Chunakhali
- SD68 Baruipur – Ghatakpukur
- SD85 Baruipur – Dhamakhali
- Mini Bus Routes
- M13 Baruipur – Canning
- Express Bus Routes
- Baruipur – Digha (FT)
- Baruipur – Salboni (FT)
- Baruipur – Chandrakona Town (FT)
- Baruipur – Ghatal (FT)
- Baruipur – Sonachura (FT)
(FT- Fixed Time)
Nearest Kolkata Metro Station-
- Kavi Subhash, New Garia - 20 minutes by Train
- Kavi Nazrul, Garia - 30 minutes by Bus/Auto
- Sahid Khudiram, Eastern Metropolitan Bypass - 30 minutes by Car
Theme Township Project
The state government has kicked off its 'theme-township' project by floating tenders for 'Uttam City' at Baruipur. Uttam City will be developed on an 86-acre plot. Its theme is wellness and health with focus on senior citizens.
Bank/ ATM/ Important Organisations
All leading banks are present in Baruipur Municipal Area including OBC, SBI, ICICI, Axis, Canara, UBI, HDFC, BOB, BOI, Allahabad Bank, Indian Bank etc. Others important Government Organizations-
- Baruipur Head Post Office
- Baruipur Sub- Divisional Court
- Baruipur District Police Headquarter
- Baruipur Zila Parishad Building
The Gajan Utsab of Baruipur is famous. According to local legend, there was once a severely contested lathi fight between the lathials of the Sabarna Choudhurys of Barisa and the Roy Choudhurys of Baruipur concerning the boundary dispute of their respective Zamindaris. The Sardar of the lathials of the Sabarna Roy Choudhury was Bhriguram. The lathials of Baruipur managed to cut off his head with a sword and won the fight. However, Bhriguram was so much respected in the area that a lock of his hair was preserved. Bhriguram is still publicly honoured by the exposition of lock during the gajan mela at Baruipur.
The culture milieu in Baruipur reflects the usual cultural characteristics of similar small towns in Bengal.
The town's schools are either run by the state government or by private organisations. Schools mainly use English or Bengali as the medium of instruction . The schools are affiliated with the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), the Central Board for Secondary Education(CBSE), or the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education. Under the 10+2+3 plan, after completing their secondary education, students typically enroll in a school with a higher secondary facility affiliated with West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education, Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) or the Central Board for Secondary Education (CBSE). Students usually choose from one of three streams — liberal arts, commerce, or science, though vocational streams are also available. Upon completing the required coursework, students may enroll in general or professional degree programmed.
- Rashmani Balika Vidyalaya
- Baruipur High School
- Madarat Popular Academy
- Gobindapur Ratneswar High School
- Sri Ramakrishna Ashrama Institute
- Holy Cross School
- Welkin National School
- Baruipur College
- Baruipur Government Polytechnic
- Gargi Memorial Institute of Technology (B.TECH)
- Greater Kolkata Institute of Engineering and Management (B.TECH)
- South Calcutta Polytechnic
Baruipur is one of the major shopping areas of South 24 Parganas. All the important brands of Jewellery, Mobile, Electronics, Dresses, Cars, Bikes are present in Baruipur.
Places of Interest
- Maa Shibani Temple, Shibanipith
- Catholic Diocese of Baruipur, Jogibottala
- Baruipur Jomidar Roy Chowdhury Bari, Puratan Bazar
Newspapers & Magazines
Some small local newspapers and magazines are there. However the scenario is dominated by the media of Kolkata. Bengali language newspapers like Anandabazar Patrika, Bartaman, Sangbad Pratidin, Ei Samay, The Telegraph are widely circulated regional newspapers. National English newspapers such as Hindustan Times and The Times of India are also available.
Kolkata's radio stations are available here. Eleven local FM stations: AIR Kolkata (FM Rainbow & FM Gold), Radio Mirchi (98.3 MHz), Red FM (93.5 MHz), Aamar FM (106.2 MHz), Fever 104 FM (104 MHz), Radio One (94.3 MHz), Oye FM (104.8 MHz), Big FM (92.7 MHz) are available.
The state-owned television broadcaster Doordarshan provides two free terrestrial channels, while MSO, DTH operators provide a mix of Bengali, Hindi, English and other regional channels via cable and DTH.
- The Sub Divisional Hospital (Baruipur Sub Divisional Hospital) is the major healthcare facility in Baruipur. Baruipur also have several privately operated nursing homes.
- Sparsh Diagnostic Centre