This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Brașov-Ghimbav International Airport
Aeroportul Internațional Brașov-Ghimbav
|Operator||Brașov County Council|
|Location||Ghimbav, Brașov County|
|Elevation AMSL||1,740 ft / 530 m|
In 2006, the Romanian State Domain Agency transferred 110 hectares of land to Brașov County. Intelcan Canada was to develop and build the airport in coordination with Brașov, Harghita, and Covasna counties as well as Ghimbav city. The airport's charter was officially signed on 14 November 2005. Intelcan inaugurated the construction of the airport on 15 April 2008. The initial target for completion was twenty-four to thirty months. However, due to legal matters and a lack of funds, the construction works had stopped and Intelcan left the project, being replaced by the local authorities.
The Brașov County authorities finalized an agreement with a local construction company, Vectra Service, for building the runway. The contract was signed on 18 November 2012, and is worth €12.7 million (VAT excluded). Eventually, construction of the airport restarted in April 2013 with the works at the 2,820 m (9,252 ft) runway. On 3 October 2014, the runway was officially inaugurated. Planned costs of the project are estimated at €87 million.
The project is widely supported by the local population and some businesses in the area have announced plans to switch to air freight services. It is predicted that the airport will create 4,000 jobs and will reach 1 million passengers in 8 years, with a further 6,000 jobs being generated indirectly.
Negotiations are still ongoing for the construction of the main terminal building, designed to handle a capacity of one million passengers per year. The terminal will be built modularly, allowing future extensions.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2008-12-02.
- AeroportBrasov.ro » A fost inagurarea
- 12,7 milioane de euro pentru construcţia pistei aeroportului internaţional Braşov-Ghimbav at gandul.info (in Romanian)
- The future Brașov Airport at adevarul.ro (in Romanian)
- "Works begin on the Brașov-Ghimbav international airport". 2013-04-27. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- Pista aeroportului Brașov-Ghimbav a fost inaugurată (in Romanian)
- Project's website
- Brașov City Council. "General Information on Brașov International Airport". February 30, 2006.
|This article about a European airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Romanian building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transport in Romania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|