Brașov-Ghimbav International Airport
Aeroportul Internațional Brașov-Ghimbav
|Operator||Brașov County Council|
|Location||Ghimbav, Brașov County|
|Elevation AMSL||1,740 ft / 530 m|
The project is widely supported by the local population and some businesses in the area have announced plans to switch to air freight services. It is predicted that the airport will create 4,000 jobs and will reach 1 million passengers in 8 years, with a further 6,000 jobs being generated indirectly. Planned costs of the project are estimated at €87 million.
In 2006, the Romanian State Domain Agency transferred 110 hectares of land to Brașov County. Intelcan Canada was to develop and build the airport in coordination with Brașov, Harghita, and Covasna counties as well as Ghimbav city. The airport's charter was officially signed on 14 November 2005. Intelcan inaugurated the construction of the airport on 15 April 2008. The initial target for completion was twenty-four to thirty months. However, due to legal matters and a lack of funds, the construction works had stopped and Intelcan left the project, being replaced by the local authorities.
On 18 November 2012, the Brașov County authorities signed a €12.7 million (VAT excluded) contract with Vectra Service, a local construction company, for building the runway. Eventually, construction of the airport restarted in April 2013 with the works at the 2,820 m (9,252 ft) runway. On 3 October 2014, the runway was officially inaugurated.
Negotiations are still ongoing for the construction of the main terminal building, designed to handle a capacity of one million passengers per year. The terminal will be built modularly, allowing future extensions.
Airlines and destinations
For the time being, the airlines have not been selected yet. The airlines are going to be selected when the airport will be finished. But most probably, according to the County Council, from Brasov would be the flights to Budapest, Munich, Bergamo, Istanbul or Tel Aviv, as well as internal flights to Timisoara, Oradea, Iasi or Bucharest. The Brasov County Council hopes that the airport to work with over 12 airlines.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2008-12-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- The future Brașov Airport at adevarul.ro (in Romanian)
- AeroportBrasov.ro » A fost inagurarea
- 12,7 milioane de euro pentru construcţia pistei aeroportului internaţional Braşov-Ghimbav at gandul.info (in Romanian)
- "Works begin on the Brașov-Ghimbav international airport". 2013-04-27. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- Pista aeroportului Brașov-Ghimbav a fost inaugurată (in Romanian)
- Project's website
- Brașov City Council. "General Information on Brașov International Airport". August 30, 2006. (archived)
|This article about a European airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Romanian building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transport in Romania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|