Canon EOS 5DS
|Type||Digital single-lens reflex camera|
|Image sensor type||CMOS|
|Image sensor size||36×24 mm (Full-frame)|
|Maximum resolution||8688 × 5792 (50.6 effective megapixels)|
|ASA/ISO range||100–6400 (expandable from L: 50 to H: 12800)|
|Storage||Dual slots: CompactFlash (CF) card Type I (UDMA-7 supported) and SD/SDHC/SDXC card (*UHS-I compatible),|
|Focus areas||61 AF points (41 cross-type AF points) with High-density Reticular AF|
|Exposure modes||Scene Intelligent Auto, Program AE, Shutter priority AE, Aperture priority AE, Manual Exposure, Bulb Exposure, Custom (3×), Movie|
|Exposure metering||Full aperture TTL, 252 zones with 150,000 pixels RGB + IR sensor and EOS Integrated Subject Analysis (iSA)|
|Metering modes||Evaluative, Partial, Spot, Centre-weighted Average|
|Shutter speed range||30 s–1/8000 s and Bulb; X-sync at 1/200 s|
|Continuous shooting||5.0 fps for 31 JPEG frames or 12 RAW frames|
|Viewfinder||Eye-level pentaprism with 100% coverage and 0.71× magnification / LCD (Live View)|
|Image processor||Dual DIGIC 6|
|Rear LCD monitor||3.2" (8.1 cm) Clear View II colour TFT LCD screen with 1,040,000 dots resolution|
|Battery||Li-Ion LP-E6N rechargeable (1865 mAh), W-E1 SD card-shaped wifi adapter|
|Optional battery packs||BG-E11 grip allows the use of 6 AA cells, one LP-E6N or two LP-E6N batteries|
|Dimensions||152×116×76 mm (5.98×4.57×2.99 in)|
|Weight||845 g (29.8 oz) (body only)|
|Predecessor||Canon EOS 5D Mark III|
The Canon EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R (known as the EOS 5Ds and EOS 5Ds R in Japan) are two closely related digital SLR cameras announced by Canon on February 6, 2015. Both are professional full-frame cameras with 50.6-megapixel sensors, the highest of any full-frame camera at the time of announcement. The only difference between the two models is that the sensor of the "R" version includes an optical filter that cancels out the effects of a standard optical low-pass filter. This distinction is roughly similar to that between Nikon's now-replaced D800 and D800E (with the E having a self-cancelling filter). Canon stated that both the 5DS and 5DS R will not replace the older EOS 5D Mark III, so therefore both the 5DS and 5DS R will have their new positions in Canon's DSLR camera lineup.
At the time of announcement, estimated prices were US$3,699.00 and US$3,899.00 (EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R), with announced date of availability, through authorized Canon retailers, in June 2015.
- 50.6 effective megapixels full-frame CMOS sensor
- Dual DIGIC 6 image processors with 14-bit processing
- 100% viewfinder frame coverage with 0.71× magnification
- 1080p Full HD video recording at 24p, 25p (25 Hz) and 30p (29.97 Hz) with drop frame timing
- 720p HD video recording at 60p (59.94 Hz) and 50p (50 Hz)
- 480p ED video recording at 30p and 25p
- 5.0 frames per second continuous shooting
- "Anti-flicker" feature (first introduced on the EOS 7D Mk II) – the shutter release can be set to compensate for flickering electric lighting
- ISO sensitivity 100–6400 (expandable to H: 12800)
- 3.2″ Clear View II LCD screen with 1,040,000 dots resolution
- 61 points autofocus system, with 41 cross-type points
- 252 zones color-sensitive metering system
- EOS Scene Detection System with a new 150,000 pixels RGB + IR metering sensor
- Magnesium alloy body
- Weather sealing (resistance to water and dust)
- New shutter and mirror mechanism to help reduce vibrations and camera shake
The apparent design difference between the 5DS and 5DS R is the colour of their name: the words 'EOS 5DS' on the 5DS are all printed in gold colour, whereas the words 'EOS 5DS' on the 5DS R are printed in silver colour (like on all Canon EOS cameras), but the letter 'R' of the 5DS R is printed in red colour.
- "From the EOS 5D Mark III to EOS 5DS/5DS R -- What's New".
- "EOS 5DS / EOS 5DS R". Canon Camera Museum.
- Lawton, Rod (26 February 2015). "Canon 5DS 50-megapixel monster set to redefine the professional DSLR market". TechRadar. Future plc. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- Butler, Richard; Britton, Barney (February 2015). "Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R First Impressions Review". DPReview.com. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Canon EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R Announcement". photographylife.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |
Image processor: Non-DIGIC | DIGIC | DIGIC II | DIGIC III | DIGIC 4 / 4+ | DIGIC 5 / 5+ | DIGIC 6 / 6+ | DIGIC 7 | DIGIC 8