Ciołek coat of arms
|Battle cry||Biała, Ciołek|
|Alternative name(s)||Biała, Taurus, Thaurus, Vitulus|
|Earliest mention||1279 (seal), 1401 (record)|
Ciołek (Polish for "bull calf") is a Polish coat of arms, one of the oldest in medieval Poland. It was used by many szlachta (noble) families under the late Piast dynasty, under the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, during the Partitions of Poland, and in the 20th century. The variant names "Siolek" and "Cialek" arose from miscommunication among early-20th-century Polish immigrants to the United States.
A history of this coat-of-arms is included in a Short History of Polish Arms written by Countess Ewa Theresa Korab-Karpinska in the late 1980s, which is currently lodged at the College of Arms in London. As heraldic heiress and only daughter of Tadeusz Josef Zielinski (also spelled Zelinski), Ewa was one of a handful of women to write upon the subject of heraldry. The bull and crown were later exceptionally incorporated as a crest into an English Grant of Arms by the English College of Arms.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
Notable bearers of this coat of arms have included:
- Gerard Ciołek
- Poniatowski family
- Zbigniew J. Lipowski (1925–1997)
- Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński
Ciołek coat of arms as presented in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth coat of arms. Ciołek coat of arms was borne by Stanislaus II August, the king of Poland. The sculpture is situated on Guardhouse in Poznań.
Coat of arms of Stanislaus Augustus Poniatowski as the King of Poland
- Alfred Znamierowski: Herbarz rodowy. Warszawa: Świat Książki, 2004, s. 96. ISBN 83-7391-166-9.
- Tadeusz Gajl, 2003. Polskie rody szlacheckie i ich herby. Białystok: Dom Wydawniczy Benkowski.
- Tadeusz Gajl: Herbarz polski od średniowiecza do XX wieku : ponad 4500 herbów szlacheckich 37 tysięcy nazwisk 55 tysięcy rodów. L&L, 2007, s. 406-539. ISBN 978-83-60597-10-1.
- Jardetzky, Oleg. 1992. The Ciolek of Poland. Graz, Austria: Akademische Druck-u. Verlagsanstalt. ISBN 3-201-01583-0 (A detailed book summarizing available documents from Polish, German, Russian and French archives. It deals with the Ciołek clan genealogy during the period c. 800 – c. 1450 AD, 244 pages)
- Sławomir Górzyński: Arystokracja polska w Galicji: studium heraldyczno-genealogiczne. Warszawa: DiG, 2009, s. 195-196. ISBN 978-83-7181-597-3.
- Józef Szymański: Herbarz rycerstwa polskiego z XVI wieku. Warszawa: DiG, 2001, s. 41. ISBN 83-7181-217-5.
- The Historical Geography of the Ciołek clan AD 950-1950.
- J. Lyčkoŭski. "Belarusian Nobility Coats of Arms". ‹See Tfd›(in English)
- "Armorial of Belarusian Nobility". ‹See Tfd›(in English)