Coimbatore Institute of Technology
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Nature in the service of man|
|Location||Avinashi Road, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT) is government-aided autonomous engineering college located in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. It was founded in 1956 by V. Rangaswamy Naidu Educational Trust. It is affiliated to Anna University.
Coimbatore Institute of Technology was founded in the year 1956 by V. Rangaswamy Naidu Educational Trust (VRET).Prof. P. R. Ramakrishnan, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology and MIT Sloan School of Management alumni, a visionary, philanthropist, industrialist and also former Member of Parliament was the founder principal. Founder of CIT was Sri.V.Rangaswamy Naidu.
The philanthropic founders envisioned a unique professional learning order with special emphasis on industrial training. CIT was affiliated to Madras University from 1956 to 1980. In 1980, the Institute became affiliated to Bharathiar University and subsequently to Anna University in 2001. CIT is recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education. The Institute was granted autonomous status in 1987 and is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
CIT offers 9 Under Graduate Academic Programmes and 12 Post Graduate Academic Programmes in addition to M.S. and Ph.D. Research Programmes.
The CIT Sandwich Polytechnic College was started in 1961. Presently, 8 Engineering Diploma Programmes are offered by the polytechnic in various engineering disciplines. The National Board of Accreditation has accredited the Mechanical Engineering (Sandwich) and Mechanical Engineering diploma programmes.
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
The students union constitutes of 20 clubs which include arts, dramatics, muthamizh (Tamil), film, karate, literary, music, nature, photography, quiz, space, sports, NSS, NCC, YRC, RSP, ECell, YHAI, RSP and Rotaract.
All the branches of engineering, technology and applied sciences run associations which organize technical meetings and symposia in their respective disciplines.
The Coimbatore Regional Centre of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers functions with its office at the department of Chemical Engineering in the Institute.
The Coimbatore centre of the Indian Welding Society (IWS) has been functioning in the Institute since 2002 in the department of Mechanical Engineering.
A student branch of IEEE functions with its office in the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in the Institute.
It is a national level technical symposium by the Chemical, Civil and Mechanical engineering students conducted during September every year.
It is a National Level Student Technical Symposium organised by Department of Computer Applications Association during January every year conducted By M.C.A Students .
It is an inter-collegiate technical symposia conducted by the circuit branches of CIT. The event is usually conducted for two days in the month of February every year.
- Akkineni Ramesh Prasad - 1960 BE Mechanical, Director, Prasad Media Corporation, Hyderabad & Prasad Film Laboratories, Chennai.
- R. Prabhu - 1968 BE Mechanical, Former Union Minister of India
- Narayanaswamy Balakrishnan - 1972 BE ECE, Indian aerospace and computer scientist, Associate Director, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- Natarajan Chandrasekaran - 1976 BSc Applied Sciences, current chairman of Tata Sons.
- M. J. Xavier - 1976 BTech Chemical, Founding Director, Indian Institute of Management Ranchi
- Subbiah Arunan, Project Director of Mars Orbiter Mission
- VB Chandrasekar - 1986 BE Mechanical, Former Indian cricket player.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "Top 100 Engineering Colleges in India -Best Engineering Institutes - College Ranking". Successcds.net. 2010-04-18. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "CIT Ranking of E-Schools". Citindia.com. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- D’Monte, Leslie (2017-01-13). "N. Chandrasekaran, an avid runner, faces marathon task as Tata Sons chairman". livemint.com. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- "Isro's agent Mars: The name is Arunan - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coimbatore Institute of Technology.|