Coimbatore Institute of Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
|Motto||Nature in the service of man|
|Location||Avinashi Road, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT) is government-aided autonomous engineering college located in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. It was founded in 1956 by V. Rangaswamy Naidu Educational Trust. It is affiliated to Anna University and is recognized by the AICTE and NAAC.
Coimbatore Institute of Technology was founded in the year 1956 by V. Rangaswamy Naidu Educational Trust (VRET).Prof. P. R. Ramakrishnan, a visionary, philanthropist, industrialist and also former Member of Parliament was the founder principal. Founder of CIT was Sri.V.Rangaswamy Naidu.
The philanthropic founders envisioned a unique professional learning order with special emphasis on industrial training. CIT was affiliated to Madras University from 1956 to 1980. In 1980, the Institute became affiliated to Bharathiar University and subsequently to Anna University in 2001. CIT is recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education. The Institute was granted autonomous status in 1987 and is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation.
CIT offers 9 Under Graduate Academic Programmes and 12 Post Graduate Academic Programmes in addition to M.S. and Ph.D. Research Programmes.
The CIT Sandwich Polytechnic College was started in 1961. Presently, 8 Engineering Diploma Programmes are offered by the polytechnic in various engineering disciplines. The National Board of Accreditation has accredited the Mechanical Engineering (Sandwich) and Mechanical Engineering diploma programmes.
MOU with other universities
- University of Kazan, Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation
- Kyungpook National University, South Korea
- Bergen University College, Faculty of Engineering (HiB) Bergen, Norway
- Dr.Fixit Institute of Structural Protection & Rehabilitation, Mumbai
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock,Texas, USA.
- Oklahoma State University, USA.
MOU with other institutions
- Central Power Research Institute (CPRI), Bangalore, Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC), Thiruvananthapuram and Tamil Nadu Electricity Board
- Centro De Investigacion Y De Estudios Avanzados Del IPN (Cinvestov), Mexico
- Oracle India Pvt. Ltd.
- Robert Bosch India Limited
- Tata Consultancy Services, Chennai
- Defence Research and Department Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad
- NI Systems (India) Pvt Ltd, Bangalore
- National Informatics Centre (NIC)
- Novell India Pvt. Ltd
- FLSmidth Private Limited, Chennai.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (A Govt. of India Enterprise)
- Coimbatore Industrial Infrastructure Association [COINDIA], Coimbatore
- Coimbatore District Small Industries Association (CODISSIA), Coimbatore
The students union constitutes of 18 clubs which include arts, dramatics, muthamizh (tamil), film, karate, literary, music, nature, photography, quiz, space, sports, NSS, NCC, YRC and Rotaract.
All the branches of engineering, technology and applied sciences run associations which organize technical meetings and symposia in their respective disciplines.
The Coimbatore Regional Centre of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers functions with its office at the department of Chemical Engineering in the Institute.
The Coimbatore centre of the Indian Welding Society (IWS) has been functioning in the Institute since 2002 in the department of Mechanical Engineering.
A student branch of IEEE functions with its office in the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in the Institute.
It is a national level technical symposium by the Chemical, Civil and Mechanical engineering students conducted during January/February every year.
It is a National Level Student Technical Symposium organised by Computer Technology and Applications Association during January every year.
It is an inter-collegiate technical symposia conducted by the circuit branches of CIT. The event is usually conducted for two days in the month of February every year.
Few of the Notable alumni
- Akkineni Ramesh Prasad - 1960 BE Mechanical, Director, Prasad Media Corporation, Hyderabad & Prasad Film Laboratories, Chennai.
- K.Balakesari - 1962 BE Mechanical, Former Chairman, Rail India Technical and Economic Service (RITES).
- R.Jagannath - 1964 BE Mechanical, Former Deputy Managing Director of Ashok Leyland and Director In-Charge of Ennore Foundaries, Chennai. He is currently a Director in Rane Engine Valves and Accuspeed Engineering Ltd, Chennai.
- R. Prabhu - 1968 BE Mechanical, Former Union Minister of India
- Narayanaswamy Balakrishnan - 1972 BE ECE, Indian aerospace and computer scientist, Associate Director, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- Natarajan Chandrasekaran - 1976 BSc Applied Sciences, CEO & Managing Director of Tata Consultancy Services
- K.L.Palaniswamy - 1974 BTech Chemical, Founder and Managing Director of Reliance Dyeing Works, Tirupur, which is currently exporting Knitting garments worth 10 million USD.
- M. J. Xavier - 1976 BTech Chemical, Founding Director, Indian Institute of Management Ranchi.
- CC Lakshmanan - 1976 BTech Chemical, Chief Scientist - Research & Technical Innovation, ITC Ltd.
- Subbiah Arunan, Project Director of Mars Orbiter Mission
- VB Chandrasekar - 1986 BE Mechanical, Former Indian cricket player.
- Venkat Panchapakesan - 1998 BE ECE, Senior Vice President, Engineering, Google Inc.
- Jahangir Mohammed - CEO, Jasper Technologies, Inc.
- "Top 100 Engineering Colleges in India -Best Engineering Institutes - College Ranking". Successcds.net. 2010-04-18. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "CIT Ranking of E-Schools". Citindia.com. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coimbatore Institute of Technology.|