Compagnie des Messageries Aériennes
|Commenced operations||18 April 1919|
|Ceased operations||1 January 1923|
|Operating bases||Le Bourget Airport, Paris, France|
Lille-Lesquin Airport, Lille, France
Hounslow Heath Aerodrome, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Louis Charles Breguet
Compagnie des messageries aériennes was established February 1919 by Louis Charles Breguet, Louis Blériot, Louis Renault and René Caudron. The first commercial route, a mail and freight service between Le Bourget Airport, Paris and Lille-Lesquin Airport, Lille, was started 18 April 1919 using ex-military Breguet 14s. In August, a service was started to Brussels. On 19 September, an international passenger service between Paris - Le Bourget Airport and London (Hounslow Heath Aerodrome) was started, also using Breguet 14s.
Accidents and incidents
- On 23 June 1921, a Blériot-SPAD S.27, F-CMAY of CMA was en route from Croydon to Le Bourget. It encountered technical problems and attempted a forced landing, possibly aiming for Bekesbourne Aerodrome, Kent, but crashed onto an adjacent railway line, first hitting telegraph cables which would have softened the impact. The two passengers were unharmed, while the pilot received minor injuries having been pinned underneath the aircraft. The aircraft was written off.
- On 15 March 1923, Farman F.60 Goliath F-AEIE overran the runway on landing at Croydon and collided with a building. The aircraft was later repaired and returned to service.
- On 3 December 1923, Goliath F-AEIF, which may have been operated by CMA, crashed at Littlestone, Kent.
- Breguet 14 (2 passengers)
- Farman F.60 Goliath (12 passengers, 15 aircraft)
- Blériot-SPAD S.27 (2 passengers, 10 aircraft)
- Blériot-SPAD S.33 (5 passengers, 15 aircraft)
- Sherwood (1999)
- "World Aviation in 1919 - Part 1". Royal Air Force Museum. Archived from the original on 5 January 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 201006". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 19 February 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "FRENCH PRE-WAR REGISTER Version 120211" (PDF). Air Britain. Retrieved 8 March 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bluffield, Robert. 2009. Imperial Airways - The Birth of the British Airline Industry 1914–1940. Ian Allan ISBN 978-1-906537-07-4
- Sherwood, Tim. 1999. Coming in to Land: A Short History of Hounslow, Hanworth and Heston Aerodromes 1911–1946. Heritage Publications (Hounslow Library) ISBN 1-899144-30-7