27 April 1968 |
|Years active||1998 – present|
2007 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Life and career
Mungiu was born in Iaşi. After studying English literature at the University of Iaşi, he worked for a few years as a teacher and as a journalist. After that, he enrolled at the University of Film in Bucharest to study film directing. After graduating in 1998, Mungiu made several short films. In 2002, he debuted with his first feature film, Occident. Occident enjoyed critical success, winning prizes in several film festivals and being featured in Director’s Fortnight at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival.
In 2007 Mungiu wrote and directed his second feature, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. The film was received enthusiastically, attracting critical praise and being selected in the official competition at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival, where it eventually won the coveted Palme d'Or for feature film, marking the first time that prize was awarded to a Romanian filmmaker.
Mungiu has said that early Miloš Forman and Robert Altman are important filmmakers who influenced him. He also respects the realism of Bicycle Thieves, among other famous realistic films. Mungiu is the brother of political analyst Alina Mungiu-Pippidi.
His 2012 film Beyond the Hills was screened in competition at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival where Mungiu won the award for Best Screenplay and Cristina Flutur and Cosmina Stratan shared the award for Best Actress. The film has also been selected as the Romanian entry for the Best Foreign Language Oscar at the 85th Academy Awards, making the January shortlist.
After Beyond the Hills (2012) Cristian Mungiu's new project will deal with parenting and focus on a male character. The producer/writer/director hopes to shoot it in 2015 "Ideally while there are still leaves on the trees". 
Filmography as director
- 2000 Corul pompierilor (short)
- 2000 Nicio întâmplare (short)
- 2000 Zapping (short)
- 2002 Occident
- 2005 Lost and Found - segment Turkey Girl
- 2007 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
- 2009 Tales from the Golden Age
- 2012 Beyond the Hills
- 2016 Family Photos
- "Festival de Cannes: 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-12-18.
- "2012 Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Cannes Film Festival 2012 line-up announced". timeout. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Awards 2012". Cannes. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- "Romania picks 'Beyond the Hills' for Oscar race". Variety. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Vie For Oscar". Oscars. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "Romania Annouces Grants from 2012 Application Session".
- Saperstein, Pat (23 April 2013). "Nicole Kidman, Christopher Waltz, Ang Lee Among Cannes Jury Members". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- http://www.filmneweurope.com/news/romania-news/item/110289-production-cristian-mungiu-develops-new-project | title=PRODUCTION: Cristian Mungiu Develops New Project | accessdate=15 April 2015
- Cristian Mungiu at the Internet Movie Database
- (Romanian) 7 scenarii (7 Scripts), Editura LiterNet - screenplays volume by Cristian Mungiu
- interview with 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days director Cristian Mungiu at european-films.net