Romanian New Wave
|Major figures||Cristian Mungiu, Cristi Puiu, Cristian Nemescu, Cătălin Mitulescu, Radu Muntean, Corneliu Porumboiu, Călin Peter Netzer, Radu Jude|
The Romanian New Wave (Romanian: Noul val românesc) is a genre of realist and often minimalist films made in Romania since the mid-aughts, starting with two award-winning shorts by two Romanian directors, namely Cristi Puiu's Cigarettes and Coffee, which won the Short Film Golden Bear at the 2004 Berlin International Film Festival, and Cătălin Mitulescu's Trafic, which won the Short Film Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival later that same year.
Aesthetically, Romanian New Wave films share an austere, realist and often minimalist approach. Furthermore, black humour tends to feature prominently. While several of them are set in the late 1980s, near the end of Nicolae Ceaușescu's totalitarian rule over communist Romania, exploring themes of freedom and resilience (4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, The Paper Will Be Blue, The Way I Spent the End of the World, Tales from the Golden Age), others, however (The Death of Mr. Lăzărescu, California Dreamin', Tuesday, After Christmas), unfold in modern-day Romania, and delve into the ways the transition to democracy and free-market capitalism has shaped Romanian society after the fall of communism in late 1989.
Award-winning films and directors
|Best feature film|
|Best short film or second-best feature film|
|Best film director|
Other notable installments
|Cristi Puiu||Stuff and Dough
Marfa și banii
|2001||Cristi Puiu's directorial debut|
|Cristian Mungiu||Occident||2002||Cristian Mungiu's first feature film|
|Lucian Pintilie||Niki and Flo
Niki Ardelean, colonel în rezervă
|2003||Lucian Pintilie's last feature film|
|Corneliu Porumboiu||Liviu's Dream
Visul lui Liviu
|Tudor Giurgiu||Love Sick
|2006||Compared to My Summer of Love|
|Cristian Nemescu||Marilena from P7
Marilena de la P7
|2006||Cristian Nemescu's last short film|
|Radu Muntean||The Paper Will Be Blue
Hârtia va fi albastră
|Gheorghe Preda||An Angel Hooked on Me
|2007||Thematically unrelated to the others. |
Unconcerned with social issues.
|Cristian Mungiu et al.||Tales from the Golden Age
Amintiri din Epoca de Aur
|Răzvan Rădulescu et al.||First of All, Felicia
Felicia, înainte de toate
|Andrei Gruzsniczki||The Other Irene
|Călin Peter Netzer||Medal of Honor
Medalia de onoare
|Constantin Popescu||Portrait of the Fighter as a Young Man
Portretul luptătorului la tinerețe
|Radu Jude||Everybody in Our Family
Toată lumea din familia noastră
|Corneliu Porumboiu||When Evening Falls on Bucharest or Metabolism
Când se lasă seara peste București sau metabolism
|Nae Caranfil||Closer to the Moon
Mai aproape de lună
|Ana Lungu||Self-Portrait of a Dutiful Daughter
Autoportretul unei fete cuminți
|Radu Muntean||One Floor Below
Un etaj mai jos
- Realism and ideology in post-2000 Romanian cinema, by Andrei Gorzo for the British Film Institute, June 6, 2016.
- Romania continues an unlikely cinematic domination at Cannes, with a pair of rival directors, by Steven Zeitchik for Los Angeles Times, May 25, 2016.
- 15 Essential Films for an Introduction to the Romanian New Wave, by Andrew Ricci for Taste of Cinema, October 11, 2014.
- Romania's overlooked New Wave, by Larry Rohter for The New York Times, December 18, 2013.
- The Romanian New Wave, in Bonjour Tristesse, November 1, 2010.
- Cannes 2010: Those Romanians are at it again, by Steven Zeitchik for Los Angeles Times, May 13, 2010.
- Romania's New Wave is riding high, by Ronald Bergman for The Guardian, March 26, 2008.
- On the New Romanian Cinema, by Marina Kaceanov for A Danish Journal of Film Studies No. 25, March 25, 2008.
- On The Romanian New Wave, by Ion Martea for Culture Wars, March 18, 2008.
- New Wave on the Black Sea, by A.O. Scott for The New York Times, January 20, 2008.
- Eastern Promise, in British Film Institute's Sight & Sound October 2007 issue.
- Romanian New Wave, International Spotlight "Romania at LAFF 2007", by Vera Mijojlic for Cinema Without Borders, June 18, 2007.
- "Berlin International Film Festival 2004 Awards". IMDB.com. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Berlinale: Jahresarchive 2004: Preistraeger". Berlinale.de. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Cannes Film Festival 2004 Awards". IMDB.com. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Festival de Cannes: Trafic". Festival-Cannes.com. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Festival de Cannes: Catalin Mitulescu". Festival-Cannes.com. Retrieved 2019-03-04.