Deerfield Beach High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Deerfield Beach High School|
910 Buck Pride Way
|School type||Public, Magnet|
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
Deerfield Beach High School is nationally ranked for its academic achievements throughout the years. Most notably, the school features the IB Middle Years Programme or Pre-IB, which is a prerequisite for the International Baccalaureate program that offers college-level academics to many of Broward County's most talented students in 11th and 12th grade. In a typical year, Deerfield's International Baccalaureate graduates matriculate at some of the nation's top universities. For example, in recent years several graduates have attended Ivy League universities. Moreover, Deerfield has historically been a leader among Broward County schools in terms of the number of students winning prestigious Silver Knight Awards. The graduation rate for the 2014-2015 academic year stood at 79.0% compared to the 74.5% state average and the 81.0% national average. In that same year, students scored an average of 1590 out of 2400 on the SAT (compared with a national average of 1720) and a 22 out of 36 (compared with a national average of 26) on the ACT. Deerfield Beach High has an FCAT school grade of "A" for the 2014-2015 academic school year.
On Saturday, September 6, 2014 the City of Deerfield Beach along with members of the Deerfield Beach Community, The Home Depot, Kawanis, Peoples Trust, DBHS Student Government, Class of 2015, and DBHS Employees came out to help transform SW15th Street to the new 'Buck Pride Way!' The schools address officially changed to 910 Buck Pride Way Deerfield Beach, FL 33441
Urban Teacher Academy Program
The Urban Teacher Academy Program (UTAP) is a magnet program aimed at training students to become teachers and community leaders. The program provides a rigorous curriculum and, most notably, extensive field experience to prepare students for entering the teacher profession. This program also qualifies students as eligible for scholarships because of its involvement with the professional organization, Future Educators Association. The minimum program requirements for entry and retention are maintaining a GPA of 2.0 and FCAT test scores of 3 or higher.
- Cross Country
- Flag Football
- Softball, Varsity
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
As of June 2015, the total student enrollment was 2,380. The ethnic makeup of the school was 48.6% Black, 22.1% White, 22.5% Hispanic, 3.3% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 2.9% Multiracial, and 0.3% Native American or Native Alaskan.
- Jeremy Kellem: Arena Football League player
- Stockar McDougle (1996): American football linebacker in the NFL (2000–2006) selected in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft; played for the Detroit Lions (2000–2004), Miami Dolphins (2005) and Jacksonville Jaguars (2006)
- Jason Pierre-Paul (2007): American football defensive end in the NFL; played for New York Giants (2010–present); first-round 2010 NFL Draft pick; winner of Super Bowl XLVI
- Denard Robinson (2009): American football running back in the NFL for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Former quarterback for the University of Michigan (2009–2012),
- Jerry Jeudy (2016): Wide Receiver for the Alabama Crimson Tide
- Mike Fiers (2003): Major League Baseball pitcher for the Oakland Athletics (2011–present)
- Alex Jacob (2002): professional poker player
- Elton Nesbitt (2000): basketball player who has played in the NBA Development League and internationally
- Kelly Skidmore (1981): Democratic Florida State Representative for Florida's 90th House district (2007–present)
- Mickey Storey, Major League Baseball player
- Teri Weigel, pornographic actress.
- Antoine McColister (Ace Hood), rapper.
- Julius Jenkins (1999): Professional basketball player for Science City Jena of the Basketball Bundesliga
- Allen West, Republican U.S. Representative for Florida's 22nd congressional district since 2011 and lieutenant colonel in the United States Army, taught U.S. history at Deerfield Beach High in the 2004–2005 school year.
- Broward County Public Schools. "Deerifleld Beach High School". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-10-09. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "DEERFIELD BEACH HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2005-08-05. Retrieved 2005-08-05. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Silver Knight". silverknightawards.com. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Deerfield Beach High School". K-12 School Rankings and Reviews at Niche.com. 30 June 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Deerfield Beach High School". K-12 School Rankings and Reviews at Niche.com. 5 August 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "School Grade". deerfieldbeachhigh.net. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Buck Pride Way". deerfieldbeachhigh.net. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Deerfield Beach High." Broward County Public Schools. Retrieved on September 23, 2018.
- "Zoning Map." Deerfield Beach. Retrieved on September 23, 2018.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Hillsboro Beach town, FL." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 23, 2018.
- "City Map." City of Lighthouse Point. Retrieved on September 23, 2018.
- "Neighborhoods map with streets." Pompano Beach. Retrieved on September 23, 2018.
- "Urban Teacher Academy Program". deerfieldbeachhigh.net. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Broward County Public Schools - School Info". browardschools.com. Archived from the original on 11 August 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Stockar McDougle". Jacksonville Jaguars. Archived from the original on February 28, 2008.
- Bennett, Brian (September 30, 2009). "Pierre-Paul scratching surface of prodigious talent". ESPN. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- "Denard Robinson". Michigan Wolverines. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Gorten, Steve (April 15, 2003). "Who is this guy?". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Volz, David (January 4, 2002). "Rigorous IB Program Challenges Students". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- "Deerfield Beach Rips Atlantic". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. December 3, 1998. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Elton Nesbitt Basketball Player Profile, Gent Hawks, Georgia South, News, Division II stats, Career, Games Logs, Bests, Awards - eurobasket.com". www.eurobasket.com. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Kelly Skidmore". PalmBeachPost.com Election Center. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Curreri, Gary (June 9, 2002). "Deerfield Seniors Have Their Share Of Players". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Man, Anthony (December 5, 2010). "Allen West: Fiery freshman hopes to shake up Washington". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Sontag, Deborah (May 27, 2004). "How Colonel Risked His Career By Menacing Detainee and Lost". The New York Times. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
In western Broward County, where Lt. Col. Allen B. West, 43, is preparing to start life over as a high school social studies teacher, the grass is green, the air is moist and the pressure is barometric.