Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
|Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School|
|5901 Pine Island Road
Parkland, Florida 33076
|School type||High School|
|School board||Broward County Public Schools|
|Area||South Florida – Broward|
|Color(s)||Maroon & Silver|
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was named after the Everglades environmentalist Marjory Stoneman Douglas. The school opened in 1990 with students in grade 9 though 11, most of which were transferring students from nearby Coral Springs High School and J. P. Taravella High School. The first senior class graduated in 1992.
Newsweek's 2015 national ranking in for high schools rated Douglas as #358 in the nation, and #13 in Florida, which is the highest ranking of any school in Broward County.
The Stoneman Douglas Winter Percussion first began in 1999 but reemerged in 2006. During the 2009 season they received 3rd place. Then under new direction they resurfaced in 2015 and won first place at the Boca WGI regional and first place at the SFWGA championships.
Eagle Regiment (Marching Band)
The Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment originally called the Marching Eagles have competed and appeared locally and nationally in the 1995 Peach Bowl, at the 1996 Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day parade,1998 Fiesta Bowl Parade and Competition, 1999 Tournament of Roses Parade, 2003 Bands of America Florida Regional 5th place, 2004 Bands of America Atlanta Regional Top 10 Finalist, 2004 FMBC 4A State Champions, 2007 FMBC 3A State Champions, 2009 FMBC 3A State Champions, also played at the 2010 Super Bowl XLIV, just to name a few.
Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC)
With a growing cadet list every year, the Eagles battalion was awarded the highest honor that a JROTC battalion could receive in their 2008–2009 school year, The Honor unit with distinction. In the 2011-2012 school year, the MSD Battalion earned a 98.5, one of the top 5% percent scores in the Broward County District. They also placed third in the States competition for their drill team.
In the summer of 2008, the school began constructing 2 new buildings on what was the senior parking lot and tennis courts. This consists of a three story building of 30 general classrooms with a ninth grade center and a one story science lab building with five science classrooms. The general classroom building opened to students on April 20, 2009, and the science building opened on August 24, 2009. All classrooms in both of these buildings contain LCD projectors, surround sound, Promethean boards and wireless internet access.
- Mike Caruso, Major League Baseball player
- Dave Aizer, News Anchor of Southflorida.com/live on The CW, former Slime Time Live host on Nickelodeon
- Nicholas Thompson, pro golfer
- Cassie Scerbo, actress, singer, and model from Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! and fourth installment of Bring It On series.
- Matt Fox, professional baseball player in the Seattle Mariners organization.
- Anthony Rizzo, Major League Baseball player for the Chicago Cubs.
- GreatSchools.com listing for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- FCAT School Grades – High
- Press Releases | Broward County Public Schools
- "Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Student Body". US News and World Report. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- Greenstein, Teddy (8 April 1998). "Caruso Just Wants To Play". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Springs native uses celebrity to help needy locals". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. July 23, 2009. Retrieved August 11, 2009.