|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Not to be confused with DreamWorks Animation's YouTube Channel, its TV production division, or the "Dtv" TV series "DreamWorksTV"
|Successor||merged with Amblin Television|
DreamWorks SKG Television was formed in December 1994 as DreamWorks Studios agreed to a $200 million seven-year TV production joint venture with the Capital Cities/ABC. The company was set up to produce series for broadcast network, cable channels and first run syndication with no first look for the ABC Network, but financial incentives favored ABC. The first show, Champs, was scheduled as a mid-season replacement for the ABC network. Dan McDermott was named division chief executive in June 1995. DWTV's first success was Spin City on ABC. The Walt Disney Company bought Capital Cities/ABC in February 1996.
In 2002, the DreamWorks joint venture agreement with ABC ended. That agreement was replaced by a development agreement with NBC with a first look clause, financing for series pick up by the network while taking a financial stake in the show, may finance show sold to other outlets, and NBC paid an annual fee to DreamWorks TV.
TV series produced by DWTV
|Spin City||1996-2002||ABC||with Ubu Productions and LotteryHill Entertainment|
|Toonsylvania||1998||FOX||produced by DreamWorks Television Animation|
|Invasion America||1998||The WB||produced by DreamWorks Television Animation|
|It's Like, You Know...||1999-2000||ABC|
|Freaks and Geeks||1999–2000||NBC||with Apatow Productions|
|The Pacific||2010||HBO||miniseries; with Playtone|
|Falling Skies||2011–2015||TNT||Season 1-3 produced by DreamWorks Television; Seasons 4-5 produced by Amblin Television|
|Smash||2012-2013||NBC||with Universal Television and Madwoman in the Attic, Inc.|
|The River||2012||ABC||with ABC Studios, Amblin Entertainment and Blumhouse Television|
|The Americans||2013–present||FX||pilot; with Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions|
TV specials produced by DWTV
TV specials produced by DreamWorks Television:
- The Secret World of "Antz" (1998)
- When You Believe: Music From "The Prince of Egypt" (1998)
- Galaxy Quest: 20th Anniversary: The Journey Continues (1999)
- The Hatching of "Chicken Run" (2000)
- Gladiator Games: The Roman Bloodsport (2000)
- We Stand Alone Together (2001)
- What Lies Beneath: Constructing the Perfect Thriller (2001)
- Woody Allen: A Life in Film (2002)
TV series produced by DreamWorks Animation SKG
These are TV series produced by DWA and distributed by DWTV around the world. Paramount Television, 20th Television and NBCUniversal Television Distribution distributes some animated TV series domestically.
- McClellan, Steve. (December 5, 1994). "ABC makes high-profile production leap." Broadcasting & Cable. 1994. HighBeam Research. Accessed on December 27, 2013.
- Kunz, William M. (2007). "2". Culture Conglomerates: Consolidation in the Motion Picture and Television Industries. Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 49, 50. ISBN 9780742540668. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Hofmeister, Sallie (June 20, 1995). "Company Town : Fox Executive Dan McDermott Named to Head DreamWorks SKG Television". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Fabrikant, Geraldine. THE MEDIA BUSINESS;Disney and ABC Shareholders Solidly Approve Merger Deal January 05, 1996. The New York Times. Accessed July 8, 2013.
- Molloy, Tim (December 16, 2011). "FX Orders Cold War Pilot 'The Americans'". The Wrap. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
DreamWorks Television is also credited as an executive producer on the pilot, which is being produced by Fox Television Studios and FX Productions.