GAMA Supermarket & Departmental Store
|Location||George Town, Penang, Malaysia|
|No. of floors||7|
GAMA is a department store in George Town, Penang, Malaysia. Located at Dato Keramat Road, just opposite Komtar, GAMA was opened in 1980, making it the oldest department store in the State of Penang. In spite of competition from the nearby shopping malls, the department store still retains its customer base due to its cheaper pricing.
The shopping centre contains a total of seven floors, excluding its basement parking lot.
GAMA was originally founded as the Pulau Pinang Supermarket by Chang Cheng Guan, a Kedah-born entrepreneur who had been impressed by Singapore's booming retail scene at the time. Launched in 1967, the supermarket was initially located at Penang Road, adjacent to the famous Chowrasta Market.
The supermarket was then relocated in 1980 to its present location at Dato Keramat Road, which was formerly the site of a government gunpowder depot. Concurrently, the supermarket was renamed as GAMA. At the time of its opening, GAMA was the largest shopping centre in Penang.
The department store is divided into seven floors, with each floor containing separate retail categories. For instance, apparel and accessories can be found at the second, third and fourth floors, while home appliances are offered at the fifth floor.
GAMA is situated in the centre of George Town, directly opposite Komtar, the administrative centre of Penang. It is sited at the intersection of Dato Keramat Road and Brick Kiln Road (now Gurdwara Road).
GAMA's location at the heart of George Town makes it easily accessible to tourists and locals alike via public transport. Rapid Penang bus routes 201, 202, 203, 204, 206, 301, 304 and 502 include a stop at the department store. Due to GAMA's proximity to Komtar, the department store can also be accessed from Komtar on foot.
- "Gama Supermarket & Departmental Store". Penang Trails. 2016-08-15. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "After rocky year, industry hopes festive season will perk up sales - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "A wheely good idea for cycling enthusiasts - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "Freshly renovated Gama out to offer more products and services - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- Khoo, Su Nin (2007). Streets of George Town, Penang. Penang: Areca Books. ISBN 978-983-9886-00-9.
- "A cowboy town that was old Penang | Wong Chun Wai". wongchunwai.com. Retrieved 2017-12-19.