LNER Thompson Class Q1
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)|
|Type and origin|
|Designer||Edward Thompson (rebuild)|
|Gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
|Driver diameter||4 ft 8 in (1.422 m)|
|Locomotive weight||Q1/1: 69.9 long tons (71.0 t; 78.3 short tons)
Q1/2: 73.65 long tons (74.83 t; 82.49 short tons)
|Fuel capacity||Q1/1: 4.5 long tons (4.6 t; 5.0 short tons)
Q1/2: 4 long tons (4.1 t; 4.5 short tons)
|Water capacity||Q1/1: 1,500 imp gal (6,800 l; 1,800 US gal)
Q1/2: 2,000 imp gal (9,100 l; 2,400 US gal)
|Boiler pressure||180 psi (1.2 MPa)|
|Cylinder size||19 in × 26 in (483 mm × 660 mm)|
|Tractive effort||25,645 lbf (114.07 kN)|
The London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) Thompson Class Q1 was a class of 0-8-0T steam locomotives. They were rebuilds of the GCR Class 8A (LNER Class Q4) 0-8-0s. Thirteen were rebuilt between 1942 and 1945. All passed to British Railways in 1948 and they were numbered 69925-69937. The sources for the information in the infobox (right) are.
The locomotives had outside cylinders with inside valves and inside Stephenson valve gear. There were two variants:
- Q1/1 (69925-69928) with 1,500-imperial-gallon (6,800 l; 1,800 US gal) tanks
- Q1/2 (69929-69937) with 2,000-imperial-gallon (9,100 l; 2,400 US gal) tanks
The extra 500 imperial gallons (2,300 l; 600 US gal) of water in the Q1/2 was carried in the rear tank, under the coal bunker, resulting in a reduced coal capacity.
Withdrawn from 1954-9. None were preserved.
- Willie Yeadon Yeadon's Register of LNER locomotives Vol 20: Class Q1, Q2, Q3 & Q4, & The Q1 Tank
- Ian Allan ABC of British Railways Locomotives, part 4 (1948 ed.). p. 56.
- "The Thompson Q1 0-8-0T Locomotives". The London & North Eastern (LNER) Encyclopedia.
|This article relating to steam locomotives operated in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|