GER Class G58
|GER Class G58 |
LNER Class J17
The GER Class G58 (LNER Class J17) was a class of 0-6-0 steam tender locomotives designed by James Holden for the Great Eastern Railway in England. The class consisted partly of new locomotives built from 1905 to 1911 and partly of rebuilds of the earlier GER Class F48 built from 1900 to 1903. The rebuilding started under GER auspices from 1921 and was continued by the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) after grouping in 1923.
The earlier GER Class F48 were built between 1900 and 1903 and had round-top boilers; there were sixty of them. The G58 had Belpaire fireboxes, like those fitted to the F48 No. 1189, and later fitted to the Class D56 Claud Hamilton 4-4-0s. A further thirty of the Belpaire boiler type followed to form Class G58.
|Year||Order No.||Quantity||GER Nos.||LNER Nos.||1946 Nos.||Notes|
The class was superheated between 1915 and 1932. From 1921, all the round-top boilers were replaced by the Belpaire type and the majority were of the superheated type.
All the J16s had been rebuilt as J17s by 1932 and 89 J17s passed to British Railways (BR) in 1948. BR numbers were 65500–65589, of which 65500–59 were the rebuilds from F48 (J16). One number (65550) was blank, because locomotive no. 8200 had been destroyed in a German V-2 rocket explosion at Stratford in November 1944. The second locomotive was withdrawn in 1953, and the last in 1962.
GER no. 1217 (LNER 8217, 5567, BR 65567) was withdrawn in 1962 and acquired privately for preservation. It is owned by the National Railway Museum, York, as part of the UK National Collection, but is on loan to the Barrow Hill Roundhouse and Railway Centre.
A 4 mm scale kit is available from PDK Models 
- Aldrich, C. Langley (1969). The Locomotives of the Great Eastern Railway 1862–1962 (7th ed.). Wickford, Essex: C. Langley Aldrich. OCLC 30278831.
- Baxter, Bertram (2012). Baxter, David; Mitchell, Peter, eds. British Locomotive Catalogue 1825–1923, Volume 6: Great Eastern Railway, North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway, Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway, remaining companies in the LNER group. Southampton: Kestrel Railway Books. ISBN 978-1-905505-26-5.
- Fry, E. V., ed. (September 1966). Locomotives of the L.N.E.R., Part 5: Tender Engines—Classes J1 to J37. Kenilworth: RCTS. ISBN 0-901115-12-6.
- Ian Allan ABC of British Railways Locomotives, 1948 edition, part 4, page 41
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to GER Class G58 / LNER Class J17.|
- The Holden J16 & J17 (GER Classes F48 & G58) 0-6-0 Locomotives — LNER Encyclopedia
- F48 and G58 Class 0-6-0 — Great Eastern Railway Society