Namie launched a national campaign against workplace bullying in Benicia, California in 1997 with his wife Ruth, who has a doctorate in clinical psychology, after she was subject to harassment at work. Namie has an AB from Washington & Jefferson College in Washington, Pennsylvania, and an MA in Research Psychology from San Francisco State University and a PhD in social psychology from the University of California, Santa Barbara in 1982. Namie taught psychology and management at US colleges for two decades. He taught the first university course in the US on workplace bullying. He was also a corporate manager for two regional hospital systems. He was the expert witness in the nation's first "bullying trial" in Indiana with the verdict upheld by the state Supreme Court.
In 2007 and 2010 the Workplace Bullying Institute commissioned Zogby International to conduct the representative surveys of all adult Americans on the topic of workplace bullying. The survey reported that 1/3 of American workers have experienced workplace bullying. The Namies lobby for the "Healthy Workplace Bill," which has been introduced in 25 states since 2003.
- The Bully-Free Workplace: Stop Jerks, Weasels and Snakes from Killing Your Organization. Gary Namie, Ruth Namie. Wiley, 2011. ISBN 978-0-470-94220-8
- The Bully at Work: What You Can Do to Stop the Hurt and Reclaim Your Dignity on the Job. Gary Namie, Ruth Namie. Sourcebooks, Inc., 2009. ISBN 1-4022-2426-5.
- BullyProof yourself at work!: personal strategies to stop the hurt. Gary Namie, Ruth Namie. Work Doctor, 1999. ISBN 0-9668629-5-3.
- Debare, Ilana (25 October 1998). "Psychologists launch all-out war against bullies in the workplace". Deseret News. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- Cox, Ana Marie (May–June 1999). "Is Your Office Bullyproof?". Mother Jones Magazine. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- "Division Two". Teaching of Psychology. 9 (3): 135–137. October 1982. doi:10.1207/s15328023top0903_1.
- Namie, Gary and Ruth The 2007 WBI-Zogby Survey
- Maurer, Roy (16 July 2013). "Workplace-Bullying Laws on the Horizon?". Society for Human Resource Management. Retrieved 19 September 2013.