International Day of Pink
The International Day of Pink is an international anti-bullying event held annually during the second week of April. The event started when students David Shepherd and Travis Price saw another student, who was wearing a pink shirt, being bullied in their Central Kings Rural High School in Nova Scotia, Canada, and deciding to show support for the student by getting everyone at their school to wear pink the following day.
The initiative inspired youth at Jer's Vision who founded The International Day of Pink, an effort to support their peers internationally with resources and ways to make their schools safer.
The International Day of Pink is run by youth volunteers from Jer's Vision, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The initiative seeks to support the work of students, educators, community and business in their efforts to stop bullying.
In 2012, students participating the Day of Pink organized numerous flash mobs, including one on Parliament Hill. The International Day of Pink also shares a Gala with JersVision.org and the event has featured comedian Rick Mercer, Brian Burke of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and former Canadian ambassador Stephen Lewis.
- "Day of Pink". Day of Pink. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "Bullied student tickled pink by schoolmates' T-shirt campaign". CBC. 19 September 2007. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Constructing Change: Celebrating the Day of Pink". Rabble.ca. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Residents Wear Pink to Stand up to Bullies". Ottawa Sun. 10 April 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Jer's Vision Celebrates Diversity, the Day of Pink and Five Years". Xtra. 15 April 2010. Archived from the original on 17 August 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Jer's Vision and the Day of Pink Celebrating Six Years of Fighting Discrimination in Schools". Xtra. 13 April 2011. Archived from the original on 17 August 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Pearson, Matthew (11 April 2012). "Day of Pink campaign comes to Ottawa". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Pink Day anti-bullying campaign draws millions of participants worldwide". Yahoo! News The Daily Brew.
- Mack, Chantal. "Pink shirts bring anti-bullying message to Parliament Hill". Canada.com PostMedia Web. Retrieved 26 June 2012.[dead link]
- "Hundreds Celebrate Day of Pink". Ottawa Sun. Retrieved 26 June 2012.[dead link]
- "Brian Burke Scores in Ottawa". Toronto Sun. 13 April 2011. Retrieved 26 June 2012.