Getting Closer (song)
|Single by Wings|
|from the album Back to the Egg|
|B-side||"Spin It On" (US)
"Baby's Request" (UK)
|Released||5 June 1979 (US)
16 August 1979 (UK)
|Recorded||10 October 1978|
|Wings singles chronology|
Despite being released in 1979, Paul McCartney wrote "Getting Closer" in 1974, recording a piano demo for the song later that year. Upon being resurrected by the band for Back to the Egg, the song, originally at a slower tempo, was transformed into a "driving rocker."
“Getting Closer” and the unreleased song “Cage” were off of demos, the latter being one that Paul and Denny did together. There were times when there was a demo aspect to the sessions, and in some cases we created demos to see how the tune was shaping up.
Like most of the songs off of Back to the Egg, "Getting Closer" bears an influence from punk and new wave music. Author and Mojo contributor Tom Doyle describes Wings' version as "power-popping" and reminiscent of the English band Squeeze.
Juber said of the guitars used in the song: "I think I played my Martin D28 on the rhythm track and some Les Paul Custom (the one in the video) for the electric."
"Getting Closer," backed with "Spin It On," was released in the US in June 1979 as the first single from Back to the Egg. The single reached #20 on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as #20 on Cashbox and #22 on Record World. Despite not being released as the first single in the UK ("Old Siam, Sir" was used instead), the song did see a UK single release in August 1979. Marketed as a Double A-side with "Baby's Request," the single was a relative flop, only peaking at #60.
For the release of Back to the Egg, a special was made featuring music videos for multiple songs, including "Getting Closer." "Old Siam, Sir", "Spin It On" and "Arrow Through Me" were among the tracks for which videos were made.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||57|
|Canada (RPM Chart)||18|
|Irish Singles Chart||24|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||29|
|UK Singles Chart||60|
|US Billboard Hot 100||20|
|Canada (RPM Chart)||127|
- Benitez, Vincent Perez. The Words and Music of Paul McCartney: The Solo Years.
- Terrill, Marshall. "Exclusive: Ex-Wings guitarist, Laurence Juber, talks about attending ‘Paul McCartney University’". Daytrippin' Beatles Magazine.
- Doyle, p. 174
- "Back to the Egg". Laurence Juber. Archived from the original on July 1, 2007.
- "Paul McCartney singles". allmusic. Retrieved 2010-08-12.
- "Official Charts: Paul McCartney". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Canadian Chart". www.collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- "Irish Chart". Irish Charts. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- "Dutchcharts.nl Paul McCartney discography". Hung Medien. MegaCharts. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Paul McCartney". Official Charts.
- "Paul McCartney - Awards". AllMusic.
- "RPM Year-End 1979".
|This article about a song by one or more members of The Beatles is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|