Hangu District, Pakistan
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
|• Total||1,097 km2 (424 sq mi)|
|Population (2014 (est))|
|• Density||287/km2 (740/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
Hangu (Pashto) is a district in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan. The district takes its name from the town of Hangu, which is its administrative centre. The name Hangu may also sometimes be applied to the Miranzai Valley which is partly within the district, bordering the Samana Range.
- Pashto is the main language spoken in Bannu specific Khattak dialect.
- Small number of people speak Punjabi Language (in Saraiki and Hindko dialects) including Christen and Sikh minorities.
- Urdu, being the National language, is also spoken and understood.
- English is official and educational language.
- Arabic is religious language also used in secondary school education.
Hangu district is divided into two tehsils, Hangu and Thall –
The district comprises two constituencies for the Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: The Pakistan Muslim League (N) (PML-N) has an overwhelming majority here. NA9 and now NA16 have been the stronghold of the party. Maulvi Naimatullah, Syed Ifthikhar Hussain Gilani and Javed Ibrahim Piracha have won consecutively since 1985. In the 2002 elections, PML-N did not run a candidate, but in 2008, Dr. Farooq Bangash, the PML-N NA16 Candidate, was forced to surrender by the party leadership to ANP Syed Haider Ali Shah, who won marginally from Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA).. Now the majority and whole control for PTI, In Local body election PTI also gain the main power, and there is still strong opposition of JUI.
Various public and private school and colleges exists in district hangu. Hangu population is near by 0.8 million people and they demand for university in 2013.Agriculture University campus was to be build in Hangu City but still the project is in pending while funds is transfer to Charsada University during ANP government. Recently the government degree college hangu start BS Hons 4-year program under Kohat University of Science and Technology.Government High School Ibrahim Zai is located in the district. Aitzaz Hasan was a student of this school who was killed in January 2014 while trying to prevent a suicide bomber from entering his school.
- Lou Johnson (2006–2008). "Photo 101101 - Train passes cultivated fields between Kohat at Hangu - Pakistan". Worldwide Photo Essays. Walking Britain. Retrieved 2009-01-11.