Ketcham in 2009
February 22, 1983 
Aurora, Colorado, United States
|Other names||Penny Flame, Dolly, Penni, Penny Lane|
|Height||5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)|
|Weight||114 lb (52 kg; 8.1 st)|
|No. of adult films||420 as actress, 9 as director (per IAFD)|
Jennifer "Jennie" Ketcham (born February 22, 1983) is an American writer, reality television personality, blogger, artist, and former pornographic actress and film director under the name Penny Flame. She has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Tyra Banks Show, The View, Entertainment Tonight, Extra and Lifechangers to discuss sex addiction, and her blog has been featured on Last Call with Carson Daly.
At age 18, Ketcham, dissatisfied with waitressing and barista jobs, answered an ad in a San Diego paper, through which she entered the pornographic film business. She chose the Penny Flame pseudonym as a combination of The Beatles song "Penny Lane" and her marijuana smoking habit. She performed scenes in well over 200 pornographic features, originally filmed between 2002 and 2009 (although some have been released after she retired).
In 2005, Ketcham directed an instructional video for Shane's World Studios. She also directed the pornographic films Shane's World: Girls Night Out 1-3, Blazed and Confused 1-3 and Penny Flame's Out of Control. In 2008, she signed a deal with Vivid Entertainment and Tristan Taormino to direct her own line of movies under the studio’s sex education imprint, Vivid-Ed; the first film was "Penny Flame's Expert Guide to Handjobs", and the second "Penny Flame's Expert Guide to Rough Sex". She retired from the industry in 2009 to enroll in college, and fully realize her skills as a writer and illustrator.
- 2005 AVN Award - Best Solo Sex Scene (Repo Girl)
- 2006 AVN Award - Best Couples Sex Scene, Film (Dark Side) with Herschel Savage
- 2006 AVN Award - Best Group Sex Scene, Film (Dark Side) with Alicia Alighatti, Dillan Lauren, Hillary Scott, Randy Spears & John West
- 2006 XRCO Award - Best Onscreen Couple (Dark Side - Red Light) with Herschel Savage
- 2006 Adam Film World Guide Award - Actress of the Year (Dark Side)
- 2008 AVN Award - Best Actress – Film (Layout)
- 2008 AVN Award - Best Couples Sex Scene, Film (Layout) with Tom Byron
- 2008 F.A.M.E. Award – Favorite Oral Starlet
- 2010 AVN Award - Best Supporting Actress (Throat: A Cautionary Tale)
Personal life and recovery
Ketcham states she became sexually active at age 12, and that she practiced safe sex as a youth. She has explained that her sexual activity was a way for her to achieve the emotional validation missing from her relationships with family and friends. Her parents divorced when Jennifer was 13; she ceased speaking to her father and did not do so again until she was 26.
Ketcham has admitted to struggling with substance abuse, particularly during her early years in the industry when she was unhappy with her life. She stated in an interview at age 24 that she had formerly been addicted to cocaine. Despite not being a top-tier porn star, Ketcham remained in the industry because it allowed her to work only three days a week while earning an attractive income; it gave her the instant attention and acceptance of adoring fans; it was the most convenient way to feed the sexual addiction associated with an inability to trust or form deep emotional connections with others. The sex addiction preceded the substance addiction, but the two became intertwined and difficult to untangle.
In April 2009 Ketcham checked into the Pasadena Recovery Center for sex addiction, as depicted in Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew, a VH1 spinoff of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew (celebrity co-stars included Amber Smith, Nicole Narain, Kari Ann Peniche and Duncan Roy). Ketcham has said that she originally intended to disrupt the process in order to gain publicity and increased marketability as a porn star, but that after the first five days of treatment, she began to have a change of heart. She came to accept that she suffered from a problem which she needed to resolve, took the process seriously and became a model participant. With the help of Dr. Drew and Jill Vermeire, she graduated from the program. Afterward, she entered a sober living facility, as depicted in the second season of Sober House, which premiered in March 2010.
The last adult film that Ketcham performed in--ironically, titled Celebrity Pornhab with Dr. Screw (a parody of the Celebrity Rehab series that had recently featured porn star Mary Carey)--was shot just before her participation in Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew.
Ketcham discussed her path into pornography and her recovery from addiction with Pinsky and others in a March 17, 2010, appearance on The View. She explained that she had taken a year-long vow of abstinence when she completed treatment. Nine months into this period of abstinence, a friendship with a man who supported her recovery and attended "12-step" meetings with her became a committed, monogamous relationship.
Ketcham is an avid painter and sees it as a healthy outer circle activity, as well as a new source of income. When she was enrolling in college, she forfeited all porn-related sources of income to make a clean break.
Career as blogger
In April 2009, Ketcham started a blog titled "Becoming Jennie", after participating in VH1's Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew. In her first entry, dated 29 April 2009, she wrote, "My name is Jennie Ketcham, and I am a recovering pornstar, and addict. This day, as every day, is the first day of the rest of my life, and I intend to live it to the fullest." According to the blog, she does not regret having been in pornography, was living a sober lifestyle, and is working on a memoir.
- Rick Ryan. "Interview with Penny Flame". qlimax.com. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "20 Question E-Mail Fun With Penny Flame". qlimax.com. 2005-11-28. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "penny flame - porn star and director - dvd and videos and more - filmography". IAFD. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- Penny Flame article at GameLink.com July 20, 2007, Retrieved June 3, 2008
- Jennie Ketcham (2009-04-29). "My name is Jennie, and I'm an addict. (Hello Jennie.)". Becoming Jennie. WordPress. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- "Jennifer Ketcham posts". www.huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2010-01-11.
- Becoming Jennie, via wordpress.com retrieved 2010 11 7
- "Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle". Becoming Jennie. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Ketcham mentioned her jobs in the second episode of Sober House second season, which premiered March 18, 2010.
- Ketcham described her early life and her path to porn and sex addiction in her March 17, 2010 appearance on The View.
- Big D. "Penny Flame Interview". XRentDVD. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- Heidi Pike-Johnson (2005-09-02). "Penny Flame to Direct for Shane’s World". AVN. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- David Sullivan (2008-02-15). "Vivid-Ed Signs Penny Flame To Directing Deal". AVN. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Vivid-Ed Taps Penny Flame to Direct XFANZ Article, February 15, 2008, Retrieved June 5, 2008
- Blue, Violet (2009-11-19). "South Asian film fest features frank sexuality". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Jared Rutter (2005-01-09). "The 22nd Annual AVN Awards: A Jenna Jameson Kinda Night". AVN. Retrieved 2007-08-04.
- "AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. 2006-01-09. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- Rhett Pardon (21 April 2006). "Porn Industry Shows Up for XRCO Awards". XBIZ. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Thomas J Stanton (2006-04-19). "Adam Film World Announces Award Winners". AVN. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- Jared Rutter (2008-01-12). "2008 AVN Awards Winners Announced". AVN. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- David Sullivan (2008-06-07). "2008 F.A.M.E. Winners Announced at Erotica LA". AVN. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "2010 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN.com. 2010-01-10. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- [dead link]
- Christopher Rocchio (2009-04-08). "Report: VH1's 'Celebrity Rehab'-like sex addiction show begins filming". Reality TV World. Retrieved 2009-05-05.
- David Sullivan (2009-05-18). "AVN - Mary Carey Pokes Fun at VH1 in 'Celebrity Pornhab With Dr. Screw'". business.avn.com. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
- "Nap Time". Becoming Jennie. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Ketcham on Last Call with Carson Daly
- "Porn Made Me Do It". Becoming Jennie. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "Book excerpt: Porn star 'Penny Flame' takes back her real name, turns her life around". Daily News (New York). 2012-06-24. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (September 2011)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Penny Flame.|
- Pornography career
- Ketcham (as Penny Flame) at the Internet Movie Database
- Penny Flame at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Penny Flame at the Adult Film Database
- "On Fire by Penny Flame", former blog site at xcritic.com