February 22, 1983
Aurora, Colorado, U.S.
|Other names||Penny Flame, Dolly, Penni, Penny Lane|
|Height||5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)|
|Weight||114 lb (52 kg; 8.1 st)|
Jennifer "Jennie" Ketcham (born February 22, 1983) is an American writer, reality television personality, blogger, artist, and former pornographic actress and film director under the name Penny Flame. She has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Tyra Banks Show, The View, Entertainment Tonight, Extra and Lifechangers to discuss sex addiction, and her blog has been featured on Last Call with Carson Daly.
At age 18, Ketcham answered an ad in a San Diego paper, through which she entered the pornographic film business. She performed scenes in well over 200 pornographic features, originally filmed between 2002 and 2009 (although some have been released after she retired).
In 2005, Ketcham directed an instructional video for Shane's World Studios. She also directed the pornographic films Shane's World: Girls Night Out 1-3, Blazed and Confused 1-3 and Penny Flame's Out of Control. In 2008, she signed a deal with Vivid Entertainment and Tristan Taormino to direct her own line of movies under the studio's sex education imprint, Vivid-Ed; the first film was "Penny Flame's Expert Guide to Handjobs", and the second "Penny Flame's Expert Guide to Rough Sex". She retired from the industry in 2009 to enroll in college, and to work as a writer and illustrator.
- 2005 AVN Award - Best Solo Sex Scene (Repo Girl)
- 2006 AVN Award - Best Couples Sex Scene, Film (Dark Side) with Herschel Savage
- 2006 AVN Award - Best Group Sex Scene, Film (Dark Side) with Alicia Alighatti, Dillan Lauren, Hillary Scott, Randy Spears & John West
- 2006 XRCO Award - Best Onscreen Couple (Dark Side - Red Light) with Herschel Savage
- 2006 Adam Film World Guide Award - Actress of the Year (Dark Side)
- 2008 AVN Award - Best Actress – Film (Layout)
- 2008 AVN Award - Best Couples Sex Scene, Film (Layout) with Tom Byron
- 2008 F.A.M.E. Award – Favorite Oral Starlet
- 2010 AVN Award - Best Supporting Actress (Throat: A Cautionary Tale)
Personal life and recovery
Ketcham states she became sexually active at age 12, and that she practiced safe sex as a youth. She has explained that her sexual activity was a way for her to achieve the emotional validation missing from her relationships with family and friends. Her parents divorced when she was 13; Ketcham ceased speaking to her father and did not do so again until she was 26.
Ketcham stated that she struggled with substance abuse, particularly during her early years in the industry when she was unhappy with her life. She stated in an interview at age 24 that she had formerly been addicted to cocaine. Despite not being a top-tier porn star, Ketcham remained in the industry because it allowed her to work only three days a week while earning a substantial income. It gave her the instant attention and acceptance of adoring fans, and it was the most convenient way to feed the sexual addiction associated with an inability to trust or form deep emotional connections with others. The sex addiction preceded the substance addiction, but the two became intertwined and difficult to untangle.
In April 2009, Ketcham checked into the Pasadena Recovery Center for sex addiction, as depicted in Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew, a VH1 spinoff of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew (celebrity co-stars included Amber Smith, Nicole Narain, Kari Ann Peniche and Duncan Roy). Ketcham has said that she originally intended to disrupt the process in order to gain publicity and increase marketability as a porn star, but that after the first five days of treatment, she began to have a change of heart. She came to accept that she suffered from a problem which she needed to resolve, took the process seriously and became a model participant. With the help of Dr. Drew and Jill Vermeire, she graduated from the program. Afterward, she entered a sober living facility, as depicted in the second season of Sober House, which premiered in March 2010.
The last adult film that Ketcham performed in, titled Celebrity Pornhab with Dr. Screw (a parody of the Celebrity Rehab series that had recently featured porn star Mary Carey), was shot just before her participation in Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew.
Ketcham discussed her path into pornography and her recovery from addiction with Pinsky and others in a March 17, 2010, appearance on The View. She explained that she had taken a year-long vow of abstinence when she completed treatment. Nine months into this period of abstinence, a friendship with a man who supported her recovery and attended "12-step" meetings with her became a committed, monogamous relationship.
Ketcham is an avid painter and sees it as a healthy outer circle activity, as well as a new source of income. When she was enrolling in college, she forfeited all porn-related sources of income to make a clean break.
Career as writer
In April 2009, Ketcham started a blog titled "Becoming Jennie", after participating in VH1's Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew. In her first entry, dated April 29, 2009, she wrote, "My name is Jennie Ketcham, and I am a recovering pornstar, and addict. This day, as every day, is the first day of the rest of my life, and I intend to live it to the fullest." According to the blog, she does not regret having been in pornography, was living a sober lifestyle, and is working on a memoir.
- Rick Ryan. "Interview with Penny Flame". qlimax.com. Archived from the original on March 15, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2009.
- "20 Question E-Mail Fun With Penny Flame". qlimax.com. November 28, 2005. Archived from the original on February 26, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2009.
- "penny flame - porn star and director - dvd and videos and more - filmography". IAFD. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- Penny Flame article at GameLink.com July 20, 2007, Retrieved June 3, 2008
- Jennie Ketcham (April 29, 2009). "My name is Jennie, and I'm an addict. (Hello Jennie.)". Becoming Jennie. WordPress. Retrieved May 5, 2009.
- "Jennifer Ketcham posts". www.huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved January 11, 2010.
- Becoming Jennie, via wordpress.com retrieved 2010 11 7
- "Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle". Becoming Jennie. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- Ketcham described her early life and her path to porn and sex addiction in her March 17, 2010 appearance on The View.
- Heidi Pike-Johnson (September 2, 2005). "Penny Flame to Direct for Shane's World". AVN. Retrieved November 28, 2009.
- David Sullivan (February 15, 2008). "Vivid-Ed Signs Penny Flame To Directing Deal". AVN. Archived from the original on March 17, 2010. Retrieved November 28, 2009.
- Vivid-Ed Taps Penny Flame to Direct XFANZ Article, February 15, 2008, Retrieved June 5, 2008
- Blue, Violet (November 19, 2009). "South Asian film fest features frank sexuality". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Jared Rutter (January 9, 2005). "The 22nd Annual AVN Awards: A Jenna Jameson Kinda Night". AVN. Retrieved August 4, 2007.
- "AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. January 9, 2006. Retrieved July 22, 2007.
- Rhett Pardon (April 21, 2006). "Porn Industry Shows Up for XRCO Awards". XBIZ. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Thomas J Stanton (April 19, 2006). "Adam Film World Announces Award Winners". AVN. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Jared Rutter (January 12, 2008). "2008 AVN Awards Winners Announced". AVN. Archived from the original on February 28, 2009. Retrieved January 14, 2008.
- David Sullivan (June 7, 2008). "2008 F.A.M.E. Winners Announced at Erotica LA". AVN. Retrieved June 8, 2008.
- "2010 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN.com. January 10, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
-  Archived March 22, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- Christopher Rocchio (April 8, 2009). "Report: VH1's 'Celebrity Rehab'-like sex addiction show begins filming". Reality TV World. Retrieved May 5, 2009.
- David Sullivan (May 18, 2009). "AVN - Mary Carey Pokes Fun at VH1 in 'Celebrity Pornhab With Dr. Screw'". business.avn.com. Retrieved April 11, 2010.
- "Nap Time". Becoming Jennie. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Ketcham on Last Call with Carson Daly
- "2009 April « Becoming Jennie". May 8, 2009.
- "Porn Made Me Do It". Becoming Jennie. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "Book excerpt: Porn star 'Penny Flame' takes back her real name, turns her life around". Daily News. New Yorㅈk. June 24, 2012. Retrieved June 28, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Penny Flame.|
- "Becoming Jennie" blog by Ketcham at WordPress website
- Ketcham (as Penny Flame) on IMDb
- Penny Flame at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Ketcham blog at the Huffington Post website