||This article contains weasel words: vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information. (March 2015)|
|Birth name||John Terry Norum|
23 February 1964 |
|Genres||Heavy metal, hard rock, Blues rock, glam metal|
|Fender Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul|
John Terry Norum (born 23 February 1964 in Vardø, Norway) is a Swedish rock guitarist and one of the founders of the Swedish rock band Europe. Concurrent to his role with Europe, he also maintains a side solo project.
During his career in music, Norum has played with Eddie Meduza & The Roaring Cadillacs, Dokken, Don Dokken's solo band, as well as collaborations with other well-known artists in his solo albums, including Glenn Hughes, Kelly Keeling, Peter Baltes, Simon Wright and Göran Edman. His influences include the likes of Gary Moore, Frank Marino and Michael Schenker. When asked about his playing, Joey Tempest once said “John Norum is like a man possessed. On stage he performs as if channeling the guitar greats of the 60′s and 70′s that have served to inspire him. But he always delivers in his own unique style, with a hint of blues, of course. I can think of a few other guitarists that play with as much feeling and passion as John.”
Although, he spent his entire career at home (in Sweden), he also resided in the United States for a few years, where he met and married Michelle Meldrum in 1995, founder and lead guitarist of the all female hard rock band Phantom Blue and the Swedish metal band Meldrum. The couple had one son, Jake Thomas, born on September 22, 2004. Michelle died on May 21, 2008 from a cystic growth in her brain. On April 16, 2012 he had a son, Jim Henry, from his Swedish fiancée Camilla Wåhlander. The couple had also a daughter, Celine Margareta, born on July 28, 2014.
- Gibson Les Paul guitars
- Fender Stratocaster guitars
- Marshall "Silver Jubilee Series" head and JCM 800 head (both heads run concurrently)
- Marshall '72 4x12 Cabinets with Celestion Greenbacks
- Dunlop Crybaby Jimi Hendrix Wah pedal
- MXR Stereo Chorus pedal
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay pedal
- Two notes Torpedo Live Speaker simulator
His guitar goes through the Wah into the chorus pedal, from where the separate outputs connect to the two amp heads, with the delay connected in the effects loop of the JCM 800 only.
- Tegnér A., Johansson, M. Europe - den stora rockdrömmen, Wiken, 1987, ISBN 91-7024-408-1
- John Norum. En biografi ver en Svensk gitarrhjalte, Sony Music Ent. Sweden, 1992. Contained into the Swedish special edition of "Face the Truth" album.
- Bevilacqua F., John Norum's biography, 2010, last update December 2012
- Bevilacqua F., John Norum's discography, 2012, last update April 2012
- Stern M., Europe Biography, Agosto 2006
- "Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 24 June 2008.
- Bevilacqua, Francesca. "Biography". johnnorum.se. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- Nilsson, Christoffer (2014-07-30). "Dubbel bebislycka för Europe" [Double baby happiness for Europe]. aftonbladet.se. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "John Norum official BIOGRAPHY". Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "John NORUM's DISCOGRAPHY: his works with Eddie MEDUZA & The ROARING CADILLACS". www.norumaniacs.com. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- Wibacke - Berger, Mia (2014-03-04). "Witt lever för sin musik i Sundbyberg". Magasin Sundbyberg. Archived from the original on 2016-08-17.
- "John Norum GEAR". Retrieved 2016-08-17.