Cooley in 2019
|Born||May 23, 1980|
|Occupation||Animator, storyboard artist, screenwriter, director, voice actor|
|Employer||Pixar Animation Studios (2004–present)|
|Known for||Inside Out|
Toy Story 4
Joshua Cooley (born May 23, 1980) is an American animator, screenwriter, director and voice actor. He is best known for working on the 2015 Pixar animated film Inside Out and directing the short film Riley's First Date? that was included in its home video release. He made his feature film directorial debut in 2019 with Toy Story 4, the fourth installment of the Toy Story film franchise series.
Cooley was recruited by Joe Ranft at the Pixar Animation Studios, where he started his career as an intern, mostly working as a storyboard artist on films including The Incredibles in 2004, Cars in 2006, Ratatouille in 2007, Up in 2009, and Cars 2 in 2011. In 2009, Cooley wrote and directed a short film George & A.J. for Pixar and Walt Disney Pictures.
In 2015, Cooley worked as a screenwriter and storyboard supervisor on the film Inside Out, the film was released on June 19, 2015 by the Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. The same year, he wrote and directed another short film titled Riley's First Date?, which released along with the Inside Out's Blu-ray. In 2019, Cooley made his feature directorial debut with Pixar's Toy Story 4.
- The Incredibles (2004) – storyboard artist
- Cars (2006) – storyboard artist
- Ratatouille (2007) – storyboard artist
- Up (2009) – storyboard artist
- George and A.J. (2009, short) – writer, director
- Cars 2 (2011) – storyboard artist
- Inside Out (2015) – screenplay (with Pete Docter and Meg LeFauve); storyboard supervisor; voice of Jangles the Clown
- Riley's First Date? (2015, short) – writer, director; voice of Dad's Sadness
- The Good Dinosaur (2015) - special thanks
- Toy Story 4 (2019) – director, story (with John Lasseter, Rashida Jones, Will McCormack, Valerie LaPointe, Martin Hynes, Stephany Folsom and Andrew Stanton)
- Cooley, Josh [@CooleyUrFaceOff] (May 23, 2019). "Frank, I never told you that I was turned by my vampire master 400 years ago. I am immortal, birthdays mean nothing to me. But I accept your human congratulatory message" (Tweet). Archived from the original on July 15, 2019. Retrieved July 15, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Twenty-Four Years and Beyond: Pixar Artists Who Worked on Every "Toy Story" Film". 1 May 2019.
- Brown, Phil (June 17, 2015). "Inside Pixar And Out With Josh Cooley". cgmagonline.com. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- Murphy, Robert (October 6, 2010). "Josh Cooley gives an in-depth look at Pixar's creative process". siliconprairienews.com. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- McFarland, K.M. (October 16, 2015). "4 Things Riley's First Date? Reveals About Pixar". wired.com. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- "Riley's First Date? Is a Sublime Follow-Up to Inside Out". disney.com. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- "D23 Expo: Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films". July 14, 2017. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Giardina, Carolyn (May 13, 2019). "'Toy Story 4': Rashida Jones, John Lasseter Among 8 Who Will Share "Story By" Credits". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 13, 2019.