Kelsey Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|Kelsey Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||35.6 sq mi (92.3 km2)|
|• Land||35.3 sq mi (91.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,280 ft (390 m)|
|• Density||3.9/sq mi (1.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664610|
The unincorporated community of Kelsey is located within Kelsey Township.
Kelsey Township was named for Kelsey D. Chase, a railroad official.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.6 square miles (92 km2); 35.2 square miles (91 km2) is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), or 1.07%, is water.
The Whiteface River flows through the township.
The following are adjacent to Kelsey Township :
- Cotton Township (east)
- Toivola Township (west)
- Meadowlands Township (south)
- Northland Township (southeast)
- McDavitt Township (north)
- Ellsburg Township (northeast)
- Lavell Township (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 141 people, 59 households, and 44 families residing in the township. The population density was 4.0 people per square mile (1.5/km²). There were 84 housing units at an average density of 2.4/sq mi (0.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.87% White, 0.71% Native American, and 1.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.71% of the population.
There were 59 households out of which 20.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.4% were married couples living together, 5.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.4% were non-families. 23.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the township the population was spread out with 19.1% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 22.7% from 25 to 44, 34.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 107.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 119.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $39,583, and the median income for a family was $42,188. Males had a median income of $35,000 versus $11,429 for females. The per capita income for the township was $15,419. There were 22.4% of families and 30.9% of the population living below the poverty line, including 46.2% of under eighteens and 12.5% of those over 64.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Kelsey township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 485.