Lavell Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|Lavell Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||108.3 sq mi (280.5 km2)|
|• Land||107.8 sq mi (279.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,289 ft (393 m)|
|• Density||2.8/sq mi (1.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664734|
Lavell Township bears the name of a French settler.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 108.3 square miles (280 km2); 107.8 square miles (279 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), or 0.48%, is water.
The West Two River flows through the northeast corner of the township.
The Saint Louis River flows through the southeast portion of Lavell Township.
Adjacent townships, cities, and communities
The following are adjacent to Lavell Township :
- McDavitt Township (east)
- The unincorporated community of Zim (east)
- Kelsey Township (southeast)
- Toivola Township (south)
- Cedar Valley Township (southwest)
- Janette Lake Unorganized Territory (west)
- The unincorporated community of Silica (west)
- The city of Hibbing (west and northwest)
- Cherry Township (north)
- Clinton Township (northeast)
- The unincorporated community of Forbes (northeast)
Saint Louis County Highway 5 (CR 5) runs north–south along Lavell Township's western boundary line with adjacent city of Hibbing in the northwest portion of the township. Highway 5 also runs north–south through the southern middle of the township.
County Highway 16 (CR 16) runs east–west along Lavell Township's northern boundary line with adjacent Cherry Township.
County Highway 25 (CR 25) runs north–south through the northeast portion of Lavell Township.
County Highway 27 (CR 27) runs east–west through the middle of Lavell Township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 363 people, 131 households, and 105 families residing in the township. The population density was 3.4 people per square mile (1.3/km²). There were 159 housing units at an average density of 1.5/sq mi (0.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 92.29% White, 0.83% African American, 1.65% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 2.48% from other races, and 2.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.58% of the population.
There were 131 households out of which 32.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.4% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.8% were non-families. 15.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 28.7% from 25 to 44, 29.2% from 45 to 64, and 8.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 108.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $43,056, and the median income for a family was $44,643. Males had a median income of $40,938 versus $23,750 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,538. About 7.5% of families and 7.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.0% of those under age 18 and 22.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Lavell township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 485.