Prairie Lake Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|Prairie Lake Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.4 sq mi (91.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,260 ft (384 m)|
|• Density||1.4/sq mi (0.54/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665349|
Balsam Road, Moen Road, and Graff Road pass through the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.7 square miles (92 km2); 35.4 square miles (92 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), or 0.81%, is water.
Prairie Lake Township is located in the southwest part of Saint Louis County. State Highway 73 (MN 73) is nearby.
The Prairie River flows through the township.
The northern and west–central portions of Prairie Lake Township are located within the Savanna State Forest.
Adjacent townships, cities, and communities
The following are adjacent to Prairie Lake Township :
- Halden Township (north)
- Floodwood Township (northeast)
- The city of Floodwood (northeast)
- Fine Lakes Township (east)
- North Carlton Unorganized Territory of Carlton County (southeast)
- The city of Cromwell of Carlton County (southeast)
- Beseman Township of Carlton County (south)
- The city of Wright of Carlton County (south)
- Haugen Township of Aitkin County (southwest)
- Balsam Township of Aitkin County (west)
- Savanna Portage State Park (west)
- Northeast Aitkin Unorganized Territory of Aitkin County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 51 people, 20 households, and 15 families residing in the township. The population density was 1.4 people per square mile (0.6/km²). There were 46 housing units at an average density of 1.3/sq mi (0.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 100.00% White.
There were 20 households out of which 35.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.0% were married couples living together, 15.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.0% were non-families. 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the township the population was spread out with 33.3% under the age of 18, 21.6% from 25 to 44, 21.6% from 45 to 64, and 23.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 104.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $36,250, and the median income for a family was $31,875. Males had a median income of $35,000 versus $0 for females. The per capita income for the township was $8,914. There were 31.3% of families and 32.9% of the population living below the poverty line, including 46.3% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Prairie Lake township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.