Kim Kyu Jong
Kim Kyu-jong on December 2016.
|Birth name||김규종 (金奎鐘)|
|Born||February 24, 1987|
Jeonju, Jeollabuk-do, South Korea
|Genres||K-pop, J-pop, Dance, R&B|
|Website||Official Korean Website Official Japanese Website|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Gyu-Jong|
In 2010, Kim left DSP Media, who managed him as part of SS501, and moved to B2M Entertainment with bandmate Heo Young-Saeng, to pursue his solo career. He made his musical debut in Goong: Musical, playing the lead role of Lee Shin, and debut as a solo artist in September 2011 with his mini album Turn Me On.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Philanthropy
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Bibliography
- 7 References
- 8 External links
He studied in Baekje Arts College, and applied music in 전북 사대부고.
2005-2009: SS501 Debut
Kim Kyu Jong debuted as a member of SS501 on June 8, 2005, along with their debut album entitled Warning. Their second mini album, Snow Prince was released in late 2005, five months after their debut. During this time, they already established their official fan club name, "Triple S", and its color, pearl green. The group earned popularity right away as they won many rookie awards after their debut.
He started his acting career with a role in Mnet hip-hop music drama Break on May 11, 2006. Kim, along with the members of SS501, except for Heo Young-Saeng who was recovering from the surgery, lent their voices to the Korean version of 2006 animated film Pi's Story.
On August 21, 2006, when fellow member Heo Young-Saeng left the radio programme SS501's Youngstreet on Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) due to a throat condition requiring laryngeal surgery, he took over being the DJ, and continued to host the programme with fellow member Park Jung-min.
SS501 soon promoted their first studio album S.T 01 Now. In late 2007, they expanded their activities in the Japanese market to challenge themselves outside Korea with the release of their Japanese single Kokoro, along with the establishment of "Triple S Japan". After the single debuted at #5, they had 2 more successful releases in Japan entitled Distance and SS501. In around one year in Japan, they received the Newcomer Award by Japan Gold Disc Award in January 2008; this was the first time for Korean artists to receive this award.
Having built their foundation as artists in both countries, they continually released singles and albums back-and-forth such as Deja Vu in Korea and Lucky Days in Japan, both released in 2008. However, they stopped their activities as a group for a period of time as Park Jung-Min and Kim Hyun-Joong were given solo projects for Grease musical and Boys Over Flowers series respectively. Yet, the three remaining members, with Heo as the leader, continued to promote, dubbed as the SS501 Project Group. They released a project album named U R Man in November 2008, with high tempo dance title track "UR Man". They also contributed to the Boys Over Flowers soundtrack with "내 머리가 나빠서" (Because I'm Stupid), and appeared as a cameo in episode four, performing their track "U R Man". The track won Song of the Month for February at the 32nd Cyworld Digital Music Awards on March 28, 2009, as well as the Best OST of the year during the 2009 Mnet Asian Music Awards.
On November 21, 2008, Kim joined as one of the regular hosts on MBC's God Of Cookery Expedition. In 2009-2010, SS501 released All My Love, Solo Collection, Rebirth, and Destination consecutively before their contracts ended. Kim wrote the lyrics for his solo track, "Never Let You Go", as well as the lyrics for his part of "완.두.콩." (Green Peas), a song written for their fans.
2010-2011: Leaving DSP Media and solo debut
In June 2010, upon the expiration of SS501's contract with DSP Media, Kim along with fellow band member Heo, signed with B2M Entertainment, the agency of former DSP Media songstress Lee Hyori, to embark on his solo career. Later on, Kim and Heo held a joint fanmeeting, Kyu Jong & Young Saeng Story In Seoul on December 4, which continued in Hong Kong, Japan and countries across Asia.
Kim made his musical theatre debut in Goong: Musical (뮤지컬 궁), a spin-off of the television drama, in Korea. He took over the role of male lead Lee Shin, from U-Know Yunho of TVXQ. He performed this musical at Minami-za in Kyoto, Japan from June 11 to July 1, and subsequently in Seoul, Korea in September 2011.
On September 27, 2011, he released his debut solo mini album, Turn Me On with "Yesterday" as its title track It features a rap part by Heo Young-saeng in dance track "My Love", and Yang Jiwon of Spica in Yesterday music video. The teaser video for "Yesterday" was released on September 22.
In October 2011, Kim Kyu Jong was cast in the 36-part weekend drama, Saving Madame Go Bong Shil on cable channel CSTV. He played an aspiring musical actor named Nicky to mark his acting debut. On November 9, 2011, he performed along with other Korean and Japanese artists at the Seoul Tokyo Music Festival 2011 at Saitama Super Arena, Japan.
2012-2013: "Meet Me Again" Album and Military duty
In June 2012, it was announced that Kim is to fulfill his mandatory military service in July. On June 3, he held his farewell fan meeting, Thank U ThanKYU with Triple S at Yonsei University in Sinchon-dong, Seoul. This marks his last official activity before his enlistment in July, as well as the first time in over two years that the five members of SS501 have gathered together. On July 23, Kim reported to the recruit training center of the 35th division in Jeonju, North Jeolla Province for four weeks of basic training. They further explained that he was originally exempted because he had a hepatitis B carrier. Since a changed in conscription law, however, he was eligible to serve non-active duty as a public service worker.
On July 18, Kim released a limited edition mini-album Meet Me Again dedicated to his fans. It features three tracks including "Thank You" composed by Kim, himself and "One Luv", a duet with Mighty Mouth's Shorry J, composed by Tae Wan Kim aka C-Luv.
On March 9, Kim spent his free time attending Kim Hyung Jun's 1st solo concert, The First at the Woori Art Hall, Olympic Park, Seoul. He even went up to the stage with Kim Hyung Jun and bowed together, marking the end of the concert.
During SS501's eight anniversary, Kim, along with the SS501 members posted one video of them celebrating and greeting their fans onto each of their own official YouTube accounts. Kim Hyun Joong was not able to be in the video at that time because he had a shooting in his variety show, Barefooted Friends. However, Kim Hyun Joong still talked about their anniversary during his Korea fanmeeting entitled 2013 KHJ Show - Party People, held at the same day of their anniversary.
Kim attended Heo Young-saeng's first and farewell concert in Seoul entitled 2013 Heo Young Saeng Seoul Concert 0513 My Story on October 26 at the UNIQLO AX Hall. This time, all of the SS501 members appeared together on one stage and performed together as one group again after three years. They sang their self-written song dedicated to their fans, "Green Peas", and their a cappella version of the song, "In the Still of the Night".
2014-present: Military discharge, drama and musical comeback
On July 22, 2014, exactly two years after being enlisted in the army, Kim Kyu Jong officially discharged from his duties. At around 9:30 to 10 am, he arrived at the military manpower office in Jeonbuk, Jeonju, and he was welcomed by the fans and press who waited for hours. Kim came back as part of KBSN's special project drama ‘S.O.S Please Save Me’ for the role of Park JungJun. Following this, he was cast at the 20th anniversary musical performance “Singin’ in the Rain for the role of DongHyun.
During the time when Kim was still serving in the military service, updates about him were only known through his friends' Twitter updates and his personal handwritten letters to his fans to show his love and appreciation. To further show his acknowledgement towards his fans, it was revealed that he joined ThanKYU's (name of his fanclub) various donation activities. On February 1, Kyu Jong sent 14 woven hats that he and his mother had personally weaved during his spare time.
In 2011, Kim volunteered for a welfare activity at an animal shelter together with Heo and Lee Hyori. In the same year, Kim also donated 620 kg of rice on the "Dreame rice flower basket" company to be given to his hometown in DeokJin-gu to help the families there. He also became an ambassador of "Heart Heart Foundation", preparing food for needy children under the Warm Meals campaign and participating in the sharing/charity performance of Heart Heart Orchestra
In February 2013, Kim personally weaved hats with the help of his mother during his free time in the army. He was touched by his fans' various donation activities that he helped them weaved some, particularly 14 hats.
|2006||Pi's Story||파이 스토리||Voice (Korea Version)|
|2005||Nonstop 5||논스톱 5||Cameo Ep.207||MBC||Sitcom|
|2007||Hotelier||ホテリアー||Cameo Ep.7 (with SS501)||TV Asahi||Japanese drama|
|2008||Spotlight||스포트라이트||Cameo (with SS501)||MBC||Drama|
|Boys Over Flowers||꽃보다 남자||Cameo Ep.4 (with Heo Young-saeng and Kim Hyung-jun)||KBS2|
|2009||SETI (Searching for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence)||세티||Ho-sik||Daum||Sitcom|
(DVD title: Super Star)
|피아니시모||Jun-su (Ep. "Never Ending Love")||TrendE||Mini drama|
|Saving Madame Go Bong Shil||고봉실 여사 구하기||Nicky||TV Chosun||Drama|
|2014||SOS Please Save Me||S.O.S 나를 구해줘||Park Jung Joon||KBS N|
|2019||Different Dream||이몽||Sung Jun Su||MBC||Drama|
|2015||Start Love||Oh Hee-min||Naver TV Cast|
|2015||28 Faces Of the Moon||Kang Woo||Aura Media|
|2005||M! Countdown||MC||Mnet||Music Television Program|
|2008||We Got Married Season 1||recurring guest||MBC||Reality Variety Show|
|God of Cookery Expedition||Host, 21 November 2008 to 1 May 2009||Variety Show|
- 2011: Goong: Musical - as Lee Shin
- 2015: “Singin’ in the Rain - as DongHyun
- December 2011: Heo Young-saeng & Kim Kyu-jong - 2012 Double Attraction (Limited Edition with DVD)
- April 2012: Photo Message Book
- (in Korean)"Kim Kyu Jong Official Site (more detailed information on menu)".Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "SS501 members officially join Hyori's new agency, B2M Entertainment".Allkpop.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "SS501’s Kim Kyu Jong reveals his ‘Prince Charming’ look for “Goong” musical".korea.com.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "SS501's Kim Kyu Jong reveals MV for "Yesterday"".Allkpop.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "Kim Kyu Jong To Start Military Service Today".Enewsworld.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "SS501′s Kim Kyu Jong Will be Discharged from Military Today". Soompi. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "김규종".Last.fm.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- (in Korean)"Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 18, 2006. Retrieved 2013-06-26.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "DSP Media History".DSPmedia.Retrieved 2013-06-16.
-  Retrieved. 2013-02-18
- SS501. Snow Prince. 2005. CD.
- Interview. SS501 2nd Fanmeeting & Triple S Fan Club Establishment. YTN Star News. Seoul, 19 Dec. 2005. Television.
- (in Japanese)"Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 15, 2007. Retrieved 2013-06-27.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "[drama 2006] Break 브레이크" Retrieved. 2013-02-18
- "July! SS501 'Pi's Story' as a brilliant screen debut! 7월! SS501 '파이 스토리'로 화려한 스크린 데뷔!" (in Korean). ystar. 26 June 2006. Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- (in Korean)"SS501, The Main Vocal Concert Heo Young Saeng Laryngeal Surgery Postponed" Archived November 30, 2011, at the Wayback Machine Sports Seoul. 7 March 2006. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- "DSP Discography 2006".Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- SS501. ST 01 Now. 2006. CD.
- "Kokoro (Normal Edition)(Japan Version)".YesAsia.Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- (in Japanese)"Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 6, 2007. Retrieved 2013-06-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- (in Japanese)"Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 13, 2008. Retrieved 2013-06-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- (in Japanese)"Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 8, 2008. Retrieved 2013-06-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- (in Japanese)"Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 13, 2008. Retrieved 2013-06-28.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "The 22nd Japan Gold Disk Award 2008" Retrieved 2013-03-05
- "DSP Discography 2008".Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "SS501, the 1st Asia Tour Persona in Seoul" Archived April 5, 2012, at the Wayback Machine Joongang Daily. 29 July 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- Boys Over Flowers. Dir. Ki-sang Jun. Perf. Ku Hye-sun, Lee Min-ho, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum, and Kim Joon. 2009. TV Series.
- SS501. U R Man. 2008. CD.
- (in Chinese) Yesasia.com Boys Over Flowers Original Soundtrack: Part 1 album info 23 January 2009. Retrieved 2013-02-18
- "2NE1 dominates at 2009 Cyworld Digital Music Awards" Retrieved. 2013-02-18
- "2009 M.net Korean Music Festival Winners list" Archived January 27, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. MAMA. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
-  Retrieved. 2013-02-18
- SS501. All My Love. 2009. CD.
- SS501. Solo Collection. 2009. CD.
- Park Kun, Ouc (12 October 2009). "SS501 releases new mini-album jacket". Asiae. Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- "SS501, '타투'로 짐승돌 변신?". JoyNews (in Korean). Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- SS501. Destination. 2010. CD.
- SS501. Rebirth. 2009. CD.
- Hong, Lucia "Kim Kyu-jong, Heo Young-saeng to sign with new agency" 10 Asia. 14 October 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-31
- (in Korean)"김규종 SS501 앨범은 내년쯤 계획" Nate News. 4 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-09
- (in Korean)"김규종 "SS501 음반은 다음해로 계획 中" 발표" Nate News. 4 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-09
- "Kim Kyu Jong reminisces over SS501's debut days + confirmed for 'Goong' musical".Allkpop.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- Kim, Heidi "SS501 Kim Kyu-jong to star in musical 'Goong'" 10 Asia. 12 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-19
- Kim Kyu Jong. Turn Me On. 2011. CD.
- Hong, Lucia "Kim Kyu-jong to begin solo singing career with mini-album next week" 10 Asia. 19 September 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-29
- Eun, Elizabeth "SS501′s Kim Kyu Jong to Make Long-Awaited Comeback" Mnet News. 19 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-01
- "SS501 member Kim Kyu Jong takes on a role in new drama, 'Saving Ajumma Go Bong Sil'".Allkpop.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- Kim, Jessica f(x) "Luna, Kim Kyu-jong to make acting debut" 10 Asia. 18 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-29
- Hong, Lucia "Several K-pop artists to take part in music fest in Japan next month" 10 Asia. 21 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-26
- "SS501's Kim Bids Fans Teary Farewell Before Enlisting". Chosun Ilbo. 5 June 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (4 June 2012). "SS501 Reunites for Kim Kyu Jong's Last Fan Meeting Before Army Duties". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "SS501′s Kim Kyu Jong joins the army on July 23". Star News. July 2, 2012. Archived from the original on June 2, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2012.
- Kim Kyu Jong. Meet Me Again. 2012. CD.
- Lee, Tae-ho (11 July 2012). "SS501's Kim Kyu-jong to release limited edition of mini-album before enlistment". 10 Asia. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "SS501's Kyu Jong and Hyung Jun reunite at Hyung Jun's concert".Dkpopnews.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "SS501 celebrate their 8th anniversary together!".Allkpop.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- "데뷔 8주년 SS501, 팬들에게 감사의 영상 메시지 전달 눈길 " Archived December 20, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.SportsSeoul.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- 2013 KHJ Show - Party People. Seoul. 2013. Performance.
- "Heo Young Saeng to Enlist Today (10/31)". Mwave. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "K-pop's SS501 Together Again on Stage at Young Saeng's Solo Concert, Proper Send-off Before Military Enlistment". Kpopstarz. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- (in Korean)"SS501 김규종, 오늘(22일) 소집해제…팬들 곁으로". Naver. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "SS501 김규종, 22일 오전 100팬 환영 속 소집해제 "귀가"". Star.mt. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "SS501's Kim Kyu Jong officially discharged from military service". Allkpop. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- KyuJong – KBSN Special Project Drama ‘S.O.S Please Save Me’ Casting Details
- SS501 Kim KyuJong, Crayon Pop’s Way, Casted in Musical “Singin’ in the Rain” 20th Anniversary Musical Performance
- "Kim Kyu Jong writes letter to fans from military" Retrieved. 2013-02-16
- "SS501′s Kim Kyu Jong writes a hand-written letter to his fans" Retrieved. 2013-02-16
- "Kim Kyu Jong Wovens Hats for Donation" Retrieved. 2013-02-16
- "[[K-POP] SS501 : Kim Kyu Jong Helps Out As Charity Ambassador]].Hotspicykimchi.Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- (in Korean)"쌀 620Kg으로 따뜻한 지역사랑愛 보여줘" Retrieved. 2013-02-21
- "Kim Kyu Jong Wovens Hats for Donation" Retrieved. 2013-02-21
- YesAsia. Retrieved. 2013-03-02
- "Episode 207." Nonstop 5. MBC. Seoul, 2005. Television.
- Hotelier. TV Asahi. South Korea, 2007. Television.
- Spotlight. MBC. South Korea, 2008. Television.
- "Pianissimo Drama Introduction" Archived May 25, 2013, at the Wayback Machine Have a TrendE day. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "Pianissimo Episodes" Archived May 25, 2013, at the Wayback Machine Have a TrendE day. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- "Super Star DVD-BOX featuring Kim Hyung-Jun / Park Jung-Min / Kim Kyu-Jong (SS501) product info" CD Japan. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "f(x)’s Luna & SS501′s Kim Kyu Jong cast in new TV Chosun drama".Allkpop.Retrieved.2013-03-09
- "SS501 김규종, MBC 대작 '이몽' 합류…이요원·유지태 호흡 [공식]". TV Report (in Korean). February 1, 2019.
- We Got Married Season 1. MBC. South Korea, 2008. Television.
- God of Cookery Expedition. MBC. South Korea, 2008. Television.
- "2012 Double Attraction (Normal Edition) product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "2012 Double Attraction (Limited Edition) product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Photo Message Book product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Kyu Jong.|