Languages of Hungary
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Languages of Hungary|
|Minority languages||German, Romanian|
|Main foreign languages||
|Sign languages||Hungarian Sign Language|
The languages spoken in Hungary are as follows.
- Uralic languages
- Indo-European languages
- – German: spoken by the German minority, especially in and around Mecsek Mountains, but also in other parts of the country. (Historically, the Swabian German dialect was spoken in Hungary.)
- – Slovak: spoken by the Slovak minority, especially in the North Hungarian Mountains and around Békéscsaba.
- – Serbian: spoken by the Serbian minority, especially in and around Bácska, but also on other territories of Southern Hungary.
- – Slovene: spoken by the Slovene minority, especially around the Slovenian border, Western Hungary.
- – Croatian: spoken by the Croatian minority, especially in Southern Hungary.
- – Romanian: spoken by the Romanian minority, especially in and around Gyula, Eastern Hungary.
- – Romani: spoken by some members of the Roma minority throughout the country.
- Turkic languages
- – Cuman: once spoken in Cumania region in Hungary. It is a Kipchak language closely related to other Kipchak languages like Crimean Tatar. The last speaker died in 1777.
- – Kipchak: once spoken in Eastern Europe which includes Hungary. It is the lingua franca of the Golden Horde controlled areas. It is the ancestor of all Kipchak languages today, which also includes the extinct Cuman.
- Sign languages
Population by knowledge of languages
|Language||Number of speakers (2011)||Note|
|Hungarian||9,896,333 (99.6%)||The only official language of Hungary, of which 9,827,875 people (98.9%) speak it as a first language, while 68,458 people (0.7%) speak it as a second language.|
|English||1,589,180 (16.0%)||Foreign language|
|German||1,111,997 (11.2%)||Foreign language and co-official minority language|
|Russian||158,497 (1.6%)||Foreign language|
|Romanian||128,852 (1.3%)||Foreign language and co-official minority language|
|French||117,121 (1.2%)||Foreign language|
|Italian||80,837 (0.8%)||Foreign language|
- "SPECIAL EUROBAROMETER 386 Europeans and their Languages" (PDF). ec.europa.eu. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-01-06.
- Hungarian census 2011 / Országos adatok / 18.104.22.168. A népesség nyelvismeret és nemek szerint (population by spoken language), 22.214.171.124 A népesség anyanyelv, nemzetiség és nemek szerint (population by mother tongue and ethnicity) (Hungarian)
- Note: percentages do not add up to 100% as, according to the census, large proportion of Hungarians speak more than one language (native and a second language). Not all languages are shown.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Languages of Hungary.|