Luke Mitchell (footballer)
|Full name||Luke Mitchell|
|Date of birth||28 February 1992|
|Original team(s)||Calder Cannons (TAC Cup)|
|Draft||No. 42, 2010 National Draft, Carlton|
|Height / weight||198 cm / 94 kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2013.
Mitchell plays primarily as a tall forward. Originally from Victoria, Mitchell attended and played school football for St Bernard's College in Essendon. Noted as a promising young talent from an early age, Mitchell represented Vic Metro at the 2008 AFL National Under 16 Championships. He played TAC Cup football for the Calder Cannons. After a strong 2009 season, there was some speculation that he could be taken by the fledgling Gold Coast Football Club as a seventeen-year-old recruit, but this did not eventuate. Mitchell then missed the majority of the 2010 TAC Cup season, as well as the 2010 AFL National Under 18 Championships, with a right shoulder injury sustained in the preseason, but he returned to play Calder's last eight games, including the grand final in which he kicked five goals.
Mitchell was recruited by the Carlton Football Club with its third round selection in the 2010 National Draft (No. 42 overall). He continued to be hindered by shoulder injuries during his first two years with Carlton: in the December of his first pre-season at Carlton, he re-injured his right shoulder; shortly after returning to training in March, he injured his left shoulder, with the resulting rehab causing him to play almost no football at any level during 2011; then, in January of the 2012 pre-season, he injured his right shoulder again, requiring another reconstruction. He finally made his senior VFL debut for Carlton's VFL-affiliate, the Northern Blues, midway through the 2012 season, and he played his sole AFL match for Carlton in the final round of the same season.
- Carlton Football Club, Selection 42 - Luke Mitchell, 18 November 2010, Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Jolly, L., Hume Leader, "Calder Cannons stars shine", 6 October 2008, Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Phelan, J., Mitchell's hard road to draft day, 13 November 2010, Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Sportingpulse, Player statistics for Luke Mitchell, Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- Landsberger, S., Northcote Leader, "Carlton's Luke Mitchell injures good shoulder", 17 March 2011, Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Phelan, Jason (25 Jan 2012). "Mitchell injury blow". Carlton Football Club. Retrieved 26 Jan 2011.
- "Carlton names two debutants". 30 August 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Sam Edmund (19 September 2013). "Carlton Blues coach Mick Malthouse has delisted eight players including Aaron Joseph and Luke Mitchell". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- Reece Homfray (1 December 2013). "Jimmy Allen won't return to North Adelaide". The Advertiser. Adelaide, SA. Retrieved 8 December 2013.