Location of Marcy-Holmes within the U.S. city of Minneapolis
|• Total||0.825 sq mi (2.14 km2)|
|• Density||12,000/sq mi (4,700/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Marcy-Holmes is the first neighborhood of Minneapolis. It is bordered on the south by the Mississippi River, to the east by the University of Minnesota and 15th Avenue SE, to the north by the railroad tracks that separate it from the Como Neighborhood, and to the west by Central Avenue. Although somewhat confusing to newcomers, the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood is considered part of Southeast Minneapolis, despite its seemingly centralized location within the city today. Every street and avenue within the neighborhood is labeled "SE," a term that refers to how the overall area is South of East Hennepin Avenue and East of the Mississippi River. Entirely within Minneapolis' Ward 3, Marcy-Holmes is represented by City Council member Jacob Frey. The neighborhood is named in honor of William L. Marcy and Oliver Wendell Holmes.
Marcy-Holmes is well known for its diverse community, its commercial districts, St. Anthony Main and Dinkytown, and its immediate proximity to the East Bank of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus.
As of the 2010 United States Census, 10,015 people live in Marcy-Holmes. Census race groups consist of Caucasians (74.5%), Asians (13.4%), African-Americans (4.5%), Hispanics (4.4%) and two or more races (2.3%). About 88.8% of households rent.
- B. O. Cutter House
- Marcy-Holmes Community Garden
- Sixth Avenue Gateway
- Florence Court
- Frey Mansion
- First Congregational Church
In popular culture
- Marcy Open School, located in the neighborhood, is the namesake for the band Marcy Playground, which the band's lead singer attended.
- "Marcy-Holmes neighborhood in Minneapolis, Minnesota (MN), 55414, 55455 detailed profile". City-Data. 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Minneapolis Neighborhood Profile: Marcy Holmes" (PDF). Minnesota Compass. October 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- Marcy-Holmes, Minneapolis, MN. Google Earth. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association
- Marcy-Holmes Profile at City of Minneapolis website
- Marcy-Holmes at Placeography
- Florence Court profile, Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission
||St. Anthony East||Beltrami|
|Nicollet Island/East Bank||Como|
|Downtown West||Downtown East, Cedar-Riverside||University|