Markus Leonardus "Mark" Verheijen (born 14 August 1976 in Baarlo) is a Dutch politician of the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (Volkspartij voor Vrijheid en Democratie). He was Vice Chairmen from 2008 till 2012 and ad interim Chairmen from 4 August 2010 to 20 May 2011. Between 20 September 2012 and 27 February 2015 he was an MP.
Previously he was a member of the municipal councils of Grubbenvorst and Venlo, an alderman of Venlo from 2006 to 2011, a member of the provincial parliament of Limburg, and a member of the provincial executive of Limburg from 2011 to 2012.
In 2015 information surfaced that Verheijen possibly wrongly claimed thousands of euros in expenses in 2011 and 2012. Both private expenses and campaign-related party political expenses were claimed as expenses incurred during his work as a representative in the Provincial Parliament of Limburg. The Province of Limburg had an external organization investigate whether Verheijen's expenses charges were appropriate, the organization concluded that they were appropriate. As a consequence of the result of an internal investigation of the Permanent Integrity Comity of the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD), Mark Verheijen resigned as a MP on 27 February 2015.
- (in Dutch) Parlement.com biography
- (in Dutch) Mark Verheijen Archived 2010-08-10 at the Wayback Machine., People's Party for Freedom and Democracy
- (in Dutch) http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2015/02/11/vvder-verheijen-declareerde-ten-onrechte-duizenden-euros/
- "Limburg: geen onterechte declaraties Verheijen". Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. 23 February 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- (in Dutch) http://cdn.vellance.com/usmedia/vvd/uploaded/attachment-files/204.pdf
- "VVD-Kamerlid Mark Verheijen stapt op" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. 27 February 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.