Jetta Klijnsma in 2011
|State Secretary for Social Affairs and Employment (Netherlands)|
5 November 2012
|Preceded by||Paul de Krom|
18 December 2008 – 23 February 2010
|Preceded by||Ahmed Aboutaleb|
|Succeeded by||Paul de Krom|
|Member of the House of Representatives|
17 June 2010 – 5 November 2012
18 March 1957
|Political party||Labour Party|
|Residence||The Hague, Netherlands|
|Alma mater||University of Groningen (MA in social and economic history)
Academy of Public Administration (Netherlands) - South Holland (BA)
Jellejetta "Jetta" Klijnsma (Dutch pronunciation: [ˌjɛləˈjɛtaː ˈjɛtaː ˈklɛinsmaː]; 1957) is a Dutch politician. As a member of the Labour Party (Partij van de Arbeid) she was an MP from 2010 to 2012. She focused on matters of culture, senior citizens, disabled people and medical ethics. Previously she was State Secretary for Social Affairs and Employment in the Fourth Balkenende cabinet and an alderwoman of the municipality of The Hague. Since November 5, 2012 she has been State Secretary for Social Affairs and Employment, dealing with unemployment insurances (partial), equality, long-term unemployment, poverty, health and safety in the Second Rutte cabinet.
Klijnsma was born 18 March 1957 in Hoogeveen. She studied history at the University of Groningen, with a specialization in social history and economic history. After graduating she began to work for the Labour Party's parliamentary group. She was assistant to MPs André van der Louw, Marcel van Dam and Thijs Wöltgens.
Klijnsma has a physical handicap. She was born with spastic legs and only learned how to walk at age thirteen. She has a Reformed background but turned non-religious and became a member of the Dutch Humanist League.
In 1990 she was elected to the municipal council of The Hague. In 1998 she became alderwoman for welfare, health and emancipation. After the 2006 municipal elections she became responsible for culture and finance and also became vice-mayor. After Wim Deetman stepped down, she was mayor ad interim of The Hague and so became the first woman in that function.
In December 2008 she succeeded fellow Labour Party politician Ahmed Aboutaleb as State Secretary for Social Affairs and Employment in the fourth Balkenende cabinet. She was State Secretary until February 2010, when the Labour Party left the cabinet.
- "Jetta Klijnsma Jetta Klijnsma State Secretary for Social Affairs and Employment". government.nl. Government of the Netherlands. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- (Dutch) Humanist League website
- Alexandre Dessingué; Jay M. Winter (14 August 2015). Beyond Memory: Silence and the Aesthetics of Remembrance. Routledge. pp. 25–. ISBN 978-1-317-42134-4.
- Office for Official Publications Of The (2009). Official Directory of the European Union. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- IBP, Inc. (11 September 2015). Netherlands Investment and Business Guide Volume 1 Strategic and Practical Information. Lulu.com. pp. 39–. ISBN 978-1-5145-3025-2.
- Media related to Jetta Klijnsma at Wikimedia Commons
|State Secretary for Social Affairs and Employment
Paul de Krom
Paul de Krom